Kansas Universities can fire faculty for tweets that are "contrary to best interest of the University"

So, the same as any other employer, then?

No, not the same. The University of Kansas is a public institution, funded by government money. When the government uses its position as an employer to restrict the free speech of its employees, that is censorship and in violation of the first amendment.

There’s rich case law, particularly with respect to Universities, that establishes this. Kansas Universities can claim they’ll fire professors in violation of this policy, but they’ll have a damn hard time enforcing their contracts – they’re in blatant violation of several well-established precedents.

…which is why I linked to popehat.

2 Likes

Seems to me an institution like KU is run more like a business these days and combined with higher tuition fees, make a lot of money with their very lucrative Jayhawk sports branding.

They adopted a police? I think that you mean to say “they adopted a new police officer.”

It hardly matters how it’s run. If it’s receiving public funding, it has to abide by the rules attached to that funding. Which means all those important free speech issues I linked earlier.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.