Katherine Johnson, pioneering NASA mathematician portrayed in "Hidden Figures," RIP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/24/katherine-johnson-pioneering.html

7 Likes

Math is sexy, yes it is…

5 Likes

RIP indeed.

I’m glad her story was told while she still lived. I hope that her story does not die with her.

11 Likes

Yes.

For most of us, we know about her from the movie, or the coverage around the movie. It is way better that it came out before she died so we know who she was, than after the fact.

It said she was 101 which seems almost payment for something. Ten years ago when Miep Gies died (she was one of the people that helped Anne Frank’s family in hiding), she was a few weeks short of turning 101, and I commented at the time that it was probably a reward for doing good.

5 Likes

101 is a good run.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Gone but not forgotten, to be sure.

15 Likes

Wow, she made it to 101. As a mathematician, she must be glad she died in her prime.

3 Likes

A good film for sure but adapted from the far more comprehensive bio of the same name which covers a lot more black women who worked for NACA/NASA.

2 Likes

How many women are we talking about? Five or six?’” Shetterly remembers them saying. By the time she finished her book, she had uncovered nearly 50 black women who had worked as computers, mathematicians, engineers, or scientists at the Langley facility from 1943 to 1980, and believed that “20 more names can be shaken loose from the archives with more research.”

3 Likes

From the replies:

4 Likes
2 Likes

RIP Katherine Johnson: The extraordinary NASA mathematician astronauts trusted over computers

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.