Kegging improved my homebrewing experience

I like to fill my bottles on an open dishwasher door. That way whatever spills I make just end up in the dishwasher.

2 Likes

Oh, and if you are in Oregon, Brewers Union 180 is the closest to a Real Pub outside of the UK.http://www.brewersunion.com

1 Like

I only bottle for gifts and portability if I need to take a brew somewhere. Otherwise, itā€™s 5 gallon soda kegsā€¦ sooooooo much easier.

1 Like

Well thatā€™s damn brilliant. Wish I had thought of that in 1995.

Sad, sad indeed. I cried a little, thinking about all that wasted beer.

http://alcoholcontrols.com/taplock.html#.U2hgQa1dXBc

@Medievalist, many breweries here in Munich still use wooden kegs, so the initial answer is ā€œyesā€. However, it requires special equipment to properly clean a wooden keg, which is why they are reserved for usage in Munich only. Pubs and beer gardens outside of city limits get the steel ones.

@jlw, why do you need to add sugar? I mean, I was a brewer at the Brauerei GebrĆ¼der Maisel, and went through the whole German trade training, so it seems like a cheat that is forbidden in Germany. Do the home brewing setups in America not provide for pressurised secondary fermentation (AKA NachgƤrung)?

He did go the more expensive route. re-purposed 5 gallon soda syrup kegs can be bought for $50 or less. Add $35 for an ebay regulator, $50 or so for a CO2 tank and a few odd dollars for fittings and tubing and you have a keg setup.

You reminded me of this: I went to high school with a guy who had a succession of toadies. On one occasion, he publicly humiliated (toppled and kicked) a toady for spilling beer. The toady indeed cried over the wasted beer.

1 Like

Ahhhh, thatā€™s a bit different.

Well, maybe Iā€™ll give it a try, then. Iā€™m sure I can clean it. Fire is cleansing.

I had several beers and stouts in the UK a week or so ago that were absolutely wonderfulā€¦ hand-pumped, no nitrogen or carbon dioxide at all. Apparently thereā€™s been a rebirth of traditional brewing there.

Iā€™ve got a perfectly serviceable pressure barrel that was only 30 quid. Itā€™s doable cheap.

Damn right there is. Thereā€™s something of a fashion for American-style IPAs at the minute though, unfortunately (Extreme! Hopped to the MAX!!! and so forth. Frightfully embarrassing, dear boy, what?).

I am often embarrassed by what my countrymen have inflicted upon the world, and you have my sincere apologies for American-style IPAs, which I have been told could not possibly be further from the original English brews of that name.

1 Like

All the invading and general fuckery is, indeed, bad enough, but messing with IPA is the final strawā€¦

And aye, they taste like pine floor cleaner.

1 Like

Cornelius kegs used for home brewing are usually refurbished soda kegs so, chances are, you could reuse the tanks you have. Iā€™m not sure that a ā€œsyrup tankā€ doesnā€™t refer to something different from what Iā€™m picturing, though.

God I hate over hopped beer. Why do Oregonians and Californians think that the preservative should be the big flavor of a beer?

4 Likes

I think there is a new beer snobbery that has emerged that dictates only ales with extreme amounts of hops are worthy of the craft brew label. I donā€™t know anybody who actually likes the taste but plenty of people think they should.

Kinda like how everyone turned into wine snobs about pinot noir after the movie Sideways came out.

I donā€™t get it either!

Pennsylvania still has a few breweries that are fighting the trend, though. And generally speaking, the darker an American beer is, the less likely it is to be over hopped.

@agro Loves that shit. Drives me insane. We went to Munich for Oktoberfest and he wanted the marzen to be hoppier.

Rolling Rock Dark?

I love pretty much all beer. That said, American IPAs are the last ones Iā€™ll order. I will TASTE one and ask for a shot if the barkeep or waiter raves about one, but rarely will I order one. Same for barley wines or tripels. Wonderful beers. For about 2 ounces. I will DRINK pretty much anything else.

Oh and we Americans are ridiculous about ice cold beer. Stout, porter and all beers darker than a broom handle should be served COOL, just under room temperature. They slide down so much easier. Their flavors need a chance to come out. This ice cold stout nonsense sucks. I hate having to wait 10 minutes to drink my beer the way I like it.

2 Likes