Kegging improved my homebrewing experience

Growlers (and frat boy hand pump kegger serving) spoils due to oxygen exposure. When you push beer out with CO2, it lasts as long as it would in a refrigerated bottle.

My startup cost about $200. I’ve spent probably as much by now, but on incremental, optional upgrades.

I was actually thinking of Yuengling Porter, from the oldest working brewery in America (Pottsville PA) or Lancaster Milk Stout, also from Pennsylvania. Very much not hoppy.

@awjt, in England you can order a Wadworth’s Corvus Stout and it’ll be hand pulled and cellar temperature! Delicious. They’ve got wonderful hard ciders, too - not so sweet as American ciders.

MOAR HOPS !

I will be right there. YUM!

Ha! My one of my favorite beers of all time. Schneider Weisse/Brooklyn’s Hopfen Weisse.

We hunkered down at Schneider Weisse’s beerhaus on Tal in Munich, to escape the Oktoberfest crowds, and happened upon it, in its first year. Some very clever German gentlemen decided we should drink it as it was an American beer and no one else would. It was wonderful and soon all of us were all chatting, laughing and drinking it.

Hops just do not go well in a top fermenting beer, as top fermenting yeast creates a slightly more acidic taste. A good pilsner might be heavy on the hops, but the bottom fermenting yeast makes for a smoother, milder taste.

1 Like

Hey you kids! Get off my lawn! And stop overhopping your beers!

Seriously though- I love tons of beer styles, including many high hop styles. I particularly love a good American IPA. But too many brewers use the wrong hops, or try to use overhopping to disguise flaws in the beer. Those are not good. But when it’s the right hops and properly brewed, it’s absolutely delicious.

1 Like

There’s a farm near Stroud (Glos) in a place called Stonehouse where you could once buy perry for fifty pence a gallon. Fifty. Pence. A. Gallon. It’s gone up in price now, but last I heard it was still only about tree-fiddy. It’s the kind of cider that will have you waking up from a blackout in a nettle-patch sans trousers. It needs to be kept out of direct sunlight as well, or it goes nasty. Man, I love the south-west.

2 Likes

I’d pay 3.50 for a gallon of amazing. Wait, is that in Pounds Sterling or whatever? So, that’s like 7 bucks? I’m a gringo. I don’t understand these things.

ÂŁ3.50? About $5 I think.

1 Like

1.68 dollars to the pound if you’re selling, 1.78 if you’re buying, ~9% money-changers-in-the-temple fee if you’re exiting the Tube, ~3% fee from your bank if you’re using a US credit card, but Sainsbury’s in Southhampton takes cash dollars at the checkout. As of two weeks ago, anyway.

If you have friends in the UK that you visit back and forth with, give them a stack of dollars when they visit you and have them give you a sack of pounds when you visit them, and cut out the middlemen. I calculate you’ll have approximately 5% more fun.

1 Like

You can do a lot with 5%!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.