Ken Norton: "How I read 61 books last year"

Sounds like a Trump guide to reading.

Stop reading boring books, they’re terrible, very bad! Read short books with big letters, small words, lots of pictures. 61 is yuge. Most ever.

4 Likes

I got it after giving my daughter one a couple of years ago. I haven’t been reading as much lately and wondered if something more portable and with instant access to books I’m interested in would make a difference. I really like it. It’s fun to read on it. I connected my library card through overdrive and that is a great help. It’s a little clunky to get the books that way but free and the steps in the process work well. Seems like they could integrate it better so I didn’t have to log into Amazon to push the download.

2 Likes

I used to read a whole lot when I had a long commute via public transit back in the late 80s, early 90s… Several hours a day when I could read, or try and nap. Now that my commute is very short I don’t read anywhere near as much.

3 Likes

Commuting via public transit is a good time to catch up on reading. I could read a book or day or so just while riding the train.

2 Likes

Are you a principal at a major tech company, though?

2 Likes

I generally agree. However, the more I read, the more crap I read, but also the more good stuff I read. It all gets mixed in there. I would gladly wade through the crap to find a book or two that is so good that it completely changes my outlook on something.

As for discarding books that are a waste of time:

There are books like that, where the are worth the read and I know they’re worth the read, but they’re slow going at first. Anything by Wilkie Collins fits that pattern. I’m not sure what the deal is with 19th century literature. Was it a thing to put long boring passages into ordinarily great literature, or is the style just a bit prosaic for 20th/21st century sensibilities? However, I can tell that the book is good and well worth reading, even if there are parts that I find boring.

On the other hand, there are books that I know suck just from reading a few pages. I will not read Nicholas Sparks. Lord help me, I tried, but even though I understood what he was trying to say, his books are nonsense to me. Same thing with Terry McMillan. I read a Terry McMillan book (Waiting To Exhale? How Stella Got Her Groove Back? It doesn’t fucking matter) basically on a dare, and I couldn’t stand to read it. I knew it wasn’t my kind of book 30 pages in, but I persisted nonetheless.

All of this. If a book has passed a certain threshold where it is actively putting me off reading it, I will drop the book. Otherwise, I will continue.

If a book is not my kind of book, or if it’s a chore to get through it, I will drop the book. Otherwise, if it’s just a little boring or I’m otherwise not in the mood to read it, I’ll read it anyway if I still think the book is worth reading.

1 Like

I liked the first e-reader software that I had on my smart phone. The text was very big, and I could read quickly and easily without losing my place. The latest phone software tries to cram an entire page on one tiny phone screen, and in addition to losing my place often, I have to squint to read the damn thing.

As for taking notes, I don’t take notes while I read, but after I read and after I’ve had a chance to digest what I read and make sense of it. The only times I take notes while reading is if I need to remember a direct quote. This happens often with non-fiction and poetry, but hardly ever with prose.

2 Likes

Use an iPad.

1 Like

No. I’m a manager of seven at one though…

2 Likes

Not comparable.

I think 61 books is a little low myself, but not everyone prioritizes reading the way I do or has the time for it.

4 Likes

I just checked it, and it went to my Challenge page, so that’s on goodreads not redirecting properly. Apologies, though.

No, real adult books. She averages about 4/day. Heavy user at the local library, ebooks and real books. Reads about 2-3x my speed, and I’m no slouch. But she spends most of her free time doing it and she has a lot of free time.

1 Like

Moan.

Got something which doesn’t need to be recharged every few hours and is legible in bright sunlight?

Moan.

2 Likes

I read a book a day in high school but we didn’t have the internet then.

3 Likes

Nope. Do you spend a lot of time reading in the sun?:slight_smile:

1 Like

I liked the first one, and the second one… and then I realized, they’re all the same novel, rewritten 20 times, and gave up.

2 Likes

you know you can usually change the font size right?

I think my wife reads probably that much given the amount we spend on kindle books every year.
There are times I knock out a book a week, then I go on a drought for a while. I used to buy every single first edition hard back of all the authors that I followed and would get them signed if they came around. Mostly mystery/crime/law fiction like Lawrence Block, James Lee Burke, Michael Connelly, James Crumley, Carl Hiaasen, etc… and stuff along those lines.
I finally did a serious purge recently and donated like 4 small moving boxes full of books to a thrift store that supports one of the humane societies. Pretty sure we have about 3 more boxes to go in the garage.

I spent years so far in front of a screen reading pdfs while my institutions had wifi covering their quiet and lush gardens!

Yes, but once I zoom to the point where I’m comfortable with the font size, there are other problems. It’s like they tried to change the UI so it was like reading a book no matter what the font size is. I liked it the way it was earlier. Read a sentence, swipe, read another sentence, swipe…

1 Like