Kevin McCarthy wants to prevent new 18-year-old adults from voting (video)

To add to that, Illinois even allows someone to register and vote in a PRIMARY if they will turn 18 by Election Day.

16 Likes

Hey Kev - those 18 year olds you disenfranchise absolutely won’t remember it for the rest of their lives.

14 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think you can register on election day in Georgia, but you can register at age 17 if you will be 18 on election day. I used to register people to vote at my job, I had to explain this a lot.

15 Likes

Unfortunately, not. That should change…

10 Likes

The UK Conservatives are trying something very similar.

They’ve just passed legislation requiring photo ID for voting. Amongst the permitted forms of photo ID are Transport for London’s Oyster 60+ card which is only used by senior citizens (who lean to the Conservatives); but NOT the Oyster 18+ card also issued by Transport for London for young people (who don’t vote Tory).

14 Likes

Whatever happened to “elections should be left to the states?”

9 Likes

You mean that positively impact the young and working class. They do all sorts of things that have a negative impact.

11 Likes

Yeah, @blondie mentioned that up thread. I will edit and give you both credit.

10 Likes

Fortunately that would require an amendment to the Constitution, which is a pretty high reach even for these guys.

9 Likes

Which is just proof that this talk is just that. Talk. It’s just for show, and it’s just to whip up the idea with their base that voter fraud is real and the other side is cheating. They’ve also talked about introducing a constitutional amendment for term limits. That also has zero chance of going anywhere, but their base eats this shit up.

11 Likes

Talk is no longer ‘cheap’. The fascists have exposed themselves, we need to pay attention to the words that come out of their mouths. It is nearly all projection, but those projections tell us exactly what they intend to do.

17 Likes

… an existence proof that none of this nonsense is necessary at all :roll_eyes:

SEE ALSO: the “debt ceiling”

12 Likes

Apparently, even those smarter people are having trouble coming up with ideas that don’t fail on arrival.

5 Likes

All That What GIF by chelsiekenyon

People said the same shit about Trump in 2015… and about him being in office - the he did not mean it, and it was just an act. And now people are starting to say this shit, like they did not watch his supporters try and overthrow the last presidential election! They mean this shit, and I’m a bit sick of people dismissing it, after ALL that has happened these past few years… and what is STILL happening in many places… I mean, do we REALLY have to get to fucking camps before people wake the fuck up?

Rule of goats ALWAYS applies!

18 Likes

^^^THIS!^^^
so much this, i can’t “this” this any more than this!
you said it all, right there.

that part, too!

13 Likes

Might as well. If you can register to vote before you’re 18 make registering to vote automatic when you’re born in the USA. While they’re at it let’s make draft registration automatic at birth as well. Call them up for service when they hit 12 years old. /s

1 Like

Make registration automatic. It works here in Oregon (with some hiccups when they rolled it out). So the only people who would need to do something to register would be people who just moved to the state.

7 Likes

Application for a social security number (ostensibly for taxes, but I’m old enough to remember when that was all it was used for) is done at the same time and by the same person as the application for a birth certificate, and signing on to the donor list is done as part of the application for a driver’s license (often, depending on the state, registering to vote as well), so I don’t see why all of that can’t be done by the same person when they come to your bedside the day after labor and delivery. They’re already juggling multiple governmental forms anyway.

9 Likes

Amen! If I was 18 and this BLANK told me I couldn’t vote THAT alone would get me to vote and vote and vote!

5 Likes

KM’s an anti-compass: Whichever way he wants you to go… go the other way.

2 Likes