Kickstarting a seminar series with Ada Palmer and me about the history of censorship and information control

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/26/the-future-past.html

5 Likes

I was reading a book about the occupation of Japan after the second world war, and one of the topics that was forbidden by the censorship board imposed by the US was any mention of the censorship board.

5 Likes

The first rule of Censor Club?

Also, the Terra Ignota series has some of the best SF world-building I’ve seen in years. I can’t wait for Perhaps the Stars.

2 Likes

Palmer is undeniably brilliant.

I couldn’t get with the second book though.
It, I guess I needed more hand holding in the beginning. It felt like she just picked up where she left off. It had been a while for me and I was lost.

2 Likes

I love how the Kickstarter rewards are like “$1 or more = You get thanked!” but “$51 or more = We will REDACT your name from the thanks (if you want)!”
Clever, very clever.

1 Like

Well motherfucker. I do live in Chicago, and I was all excited for this. But I finally drilled down to the actual seminar info, and the sessions that are open to the public are on Fridays from 1:30 to 4:30 pm, a time that’s only good for grad students and retirees–have fun without me, then.

And universities wonder why their “public outreach” and “community engagement” events never have the desired impact.

(ETA: Oh, and in case anyone involved with the events is reading this comment thread: If you want members of the public to attend, you have to give better directions than just “Kent room 107”. Perhaps an address Google maps can find. Maybe even a downloadable pdf of the campus map with the building circled.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.