Kickstarting performances and videos about a future where things get better

[Read the post]

I don’t think this guy’s done an extensive search of the media if he thinks there’s a dearth of better worlds imagined. Or possibly he’s mistaken what Hollywood movie-makers put out for the whole of all media. Movie-makers are a bit limited by only having a novella’s worth of plot in each 120 minutes-worth of blockbuster. There’s barely enough room to set up a conflict and the resolution with a bit of characterisation on the side, let alone set up a better world and explain how this better world still has room for the movie’s conflict.

As for the other media, has the man never heard of a little show called Star Trek and its featured setting of the Federation? Iain M Banks’ Culture novels?

I can’t argue with him about his conclusion — “Imagine that you live in the early days of a better nation world” as the quote almost goes — but there are plenty of people working at imagining that better state and showing their imagining to others, if he could be bothered to look.

Yes, but what have you done for me lately?

And what about Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars trilogy? If that isn’t optimistic, I don’t know what is.

heck, even Mad Max posits a Trump-free future. That’s better right there.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.