Kids these days can't tell a box-end wrench from an open-end wrench

Oh that’s interesting - the tool we always called a wonderbar in scene shop didn’t (IIRC) have that. Of course, that was (gulp) 20+ years ago so memory could be ill-serving me here…

Cool! I googled around to find out who that is (Marvel’s The Wrecker) and stumbled across this one, where he’s got an tool shaped like an old-fashioned crowbar, but with a split toe like a modern wrecking bar. I’ve never seen this character before, but now I’m thinkin’ I may have next year’s hallow’een costume…

1 Like

@elusis, @jackbird, wonderbars come in many lengths, with humps and without. Apparently Stanley calls the humpbacked ones super wonder bars… which leaves me waiting for the eventual introduction of the “super ultra mega wonder bar”, but I digress.

The distinguishing characteristics of a wonderbar® (other than the registered name - there are plenty of knock-offs) are that it’s made from flat rather than bar stock, and that it has that extra teardrop shaped nail-puller hole in it.

I’m not a fan of really large wonderbars, but the smaller ones are excellent for pulling trim molding and stuff like that. If you use a thick, stiff putty knife and a small wonderbar together you can pull baseboard without damaging it (or the wall) and then use a pair of end-nips to yank the nails through the back side afterwards. Slick and easy.

2 Likes

yeah his weapon seems to go from wonderbar to j-bar depending on who is drawing.

Here’s one where he’s about to take on some trim molding.

2 Likes

I have a titanium prybar that rides on my big Veto bag. It’s a copy of the old Soviet Military pattern.

Theodore Gray’s site has comments on why you might want one, but I just like it because it’s way lighter than all my other wrecking bars. The big tool bag is heavy.

This topic was automatically closed after 823 days. New replies are no longer allowed.