Kodak introduces a new Super 8 film camera

I know people who do color who would disagree with you. There are chem kits available that make the process relatively affordable and manageable. The problem for me is that I don’t use enough to be able to use up the chemistry before it goes bad (I’m color blind–printing would be difficult). Whereas a bottle of Rodinal is forever!

1 Like

The trick is to have enough cameras on the shelf already that one more isn’t noticeable.

2 Likes

Abiatha makes a good point. The other trick I like to use is “can you believe that someone was getting rid of this camera? They didn’t even know that film was still available! When this was new it was insanely expensive, these days they’re just being given away.”

Protip: Burn all receipts.

1 Like

Also: get packages delivered to an alternate address if you can’t guarantee that you can get to the mailbox first.

2 Likes

Oh, you can totally ship things home, every city has a free section on craigslist. Not to mention photo.net’s classifieds where people are always cleaning out their basement.

Also, practice this saying a lot: “eBay, what’s that?”

1 Like

Many years ago, when I was still buying bicycles (of both alarming price and number), if I wanted to get a new ride without it being too obvious, I’d have my friend "drop by " to “return those wheels he borrowed.” Later, another friend would “return” the “drivetrain I’d lent him.” Etc etc.

5 Likes

It would be wonderful if they used this to revive the industry here in Rochester; we’re their hometown, afterall, and all of the factories are still here (empty…).

An interview with the designer…

1 Like

And there’s nothing wrong with it, then or now

I love to shoot film, but this is bullshit that’s too expensive and will not be bought a lot over digital, period (especially considering that you can use the new cellphones to shoot movies, and that somebody shot a movie with said type of cellphone. Who is Kodak kidding? Especially with the price of the camera, and the price of film processing these days, and the lack of labs to develop said film from said camera?

I think this is your answer - you seem to love it not enough, but I can see a small(ish) market for enthusiasts ignoring the costs.

Hope that they can make money from said small market.

1 Like

The actual trick is to be financially solvent so that you can afford to buy a lot of cameras in the first place, or live alone.

1 Like

That’s kind of been what I’ve been thinking about this as well. In New York I have a ton of lab options, probably ten or so within a five block radius. I can’t say the same for someone upstate, say, Rochester, even.

Impossible Project gets away with it because they have no lab costs and someone in Tulsa can enjoy an instant image. Lomography makes it work because they sell a shedload of twenty dollar plastic cameras. Kodak, I’m not sure how they’re going to rely on an expensive camera that eats 50’ of film to gain two and a half minutes of footage outside LA and New York.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.