Wonderful home Super 8mm special effects experiments from the 1970s

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/08/wonderful-home-super-8mm-speci.html

1 Like

I recall making a sci-fi short with my brother using our dad’s trusty Super 8. Very high end special effects - a thrown pie plate for a flying saucer, and using a felt tip pen to animate laser fire from our BB rifle. The laser looked all wobbly, though, because it’s damn hard drawing on a tiny 8mm cell.

Alas, it won no awards.

6 Likes

oooh fancy with your super 8. ISTR making movies with a wind-up regular 8 camera. Using an expedient dark room to change film by throwing a coat over the camera sitting on the floor and reaching in through the sleeves…

3 Likes

Our family had one of those. The film was actually 16mm; you flipped it over after one side of the reel was exposed, and you shot the other side, Then the developer split the film into two 8mm strips with one sprocket line.

I made a clay-animation film in 5th grade with a classmate. Maybe two? Awfully long time.

2 Likes

I feel like this must be how Mike Jittlov got his start.

3 Likes

Experimenting with Super 8 was fun!

In stark contrast, digital film and predictive algorithms come together for the following experiment:

"Graphics are 100% generated by an algorithm in one shot. No edit or post-processing. Except the first one, all frames are calculated one by one by a prediction algorithm that tries to predict the next frame from the previous one. "

2 Likes

When we were in junior high my brother and I made an 8mm stop-motion animation using one of those old foot-high G.I. Joe’s. We worked all day long. But we didn’t know anything about frame rate and we were crushed when our hours of effort zipped by in a second and a half.

Well, they get points for the Boingo.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.