Hardware Wars: The Special Edition (1997)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/03/hardware-wars-the-special-edi.html

2 Likes

Are you suggesting that George Lucas wouldn’t have framed a shot this way if he’d had the ability to do so back in 1977?

8 Likes

“You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll kiss three bucks goodbye.”

11 Likes

One of very few films shot on super 8 to get commercial release. (even on video)

7 Likes

I was glued to the TV screen.

4 Likes

Oh God I have this vague memory of watching this projected on a wall at knee height because we just put the projector on the floor a couple feet away for some reason. I’m pretty sure my dad borrowed this from the public library which seemed magical to me.

I put this in the same category as “Moron Movies”.

4 Likes

So link to the good version instead.

7 Likes

You poor person, I hope you found a way to loose the glue.

1 Like

They showed this at my public library when I was about 7 or 8, along with Porklips Now and Closet Cases of the Nerd Kind. I had no idea what was going on, but I thought “Ham Salad” was funny. Plus the flying toasters, of course.

Sidenote: Ham Salad looks a whole lot like Adam Driver.

6 Likes

Best viewed after dark.

12 Likes

All these years I’d never seen Hardware Wars (neither the Special nor Unspecial Editions). It was funnier than I’d imagined. I’ve got one kid who loves all things Star Wars, and another who can’t stand it (but does like MAD), and I think they’ll both enjoy this.

P.S. There was a film mentioned in The Making of Star Wars called The Intruder. It was a short claymation film that I saw on PBS. It was hilarious! But I’ve never been able to find it since. (Searching the web for a film called The Intruder mostly gives results about a completely different, NSFW-kind of film…)

3 Likes

“It was better than Cats! I’m going to see it again and again!”

4 Likes

I saw this in junior high (I mean, in school, during class) in 1979?

3 Likes

we watched it in a film class in high school in 1982 or so. still holds up. i disagree – the new special edition footage DEFINITELY adds to the excitement of the final attack.

3 Likes

When I saw Star Wars in '77 at a drive in, it was a double feature and the opener was La Planète Sauvage. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That’s one of the most amazing double features I’ve heard of.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.