LA's new rule: homeless people are only allowed to own one trashcan's worth of things

SMFH

1 Like

You can’t really extrapolate from your experience as a person with a fixed address and a persistent set of neighbors. The only rule is you have to find someplace to sleep where nobody is going to hassle you and you have to keep moving if you guess wrong.

Hey, just imagine how bad it would be if L.A. had a Republican mayor.

This, this, this.

1 Like

Sorry, no.

This is a machine that kills fascists.

1 Like

So are these ones

It’s a shame they didn’t kill more Stalinists too.

4 Likes

can’t argue with that!!

2 Likes

While the world could certainly use a reduction in Stalinists, it’s still worth keeping in mind that the #1 Nazi-killing machine in history was either this:

Or this:

While I’m sure that most of y’all here already know this, it’s still distressingly common to come across Americans who think that the USA defeated Hitler.

The Red Army beat Hitler; the western front was a late-war diversionary sideshow.

Which does nothing to change the fact that Stalin was a mass-murdering bastard who should’ve been strangled at birth.

7 Likes

Largely through Stalin’s trademark “keep sending wave after wave of starving peasants at them until they run out of bullets” strategy.

2 Likes

I was meaning during the May Days

Would the Spanish Republic have beaten Franco if they hadn’t started fighting each other, or if the Stalinist had been beaten? I don’t know, there were other problems too, but it didn’t help matters.

Yup. As I said, mass-murdering bastard who should’ve been strangled at birth.

(although, for accuracy’s sake: it was also wave after wave of T-34s, Katyushas, Yaks and Sturmoviks)

Note that I didn’t say that Stalin stopped Hitler; I said that the Red Army did. Different things.

I know; I noticed the Spanish flag.

I wasn’t disagreeing with your sentiment, or assuming that you were ignorant of the history. Just preaching to the lurkers about a personal historical-accuracy twitch.

This is a good example of the reason I read the BBS: on a thread about a new homeless law in one city in the U.S., we get a mini history lesson that encompasses two other continents!

4 Likes

Of course, by “kills” Guthrie meant something more like “preĂ«mpts.” If it gets to the point where you have to actually kill Fascists then you’ve let things go too far.

4 Likes

I don’t know when Woody wrote that phrase on his guitar. Any time after 1937 would have been in the “too late for preemption” era.

Wikipedia claims 1941, although I expect that Woody felt that he was preempting fascism all through the 1930s.

1 Like

That dates it at June 23, 1941 or later

Sticker I made for my hackerspace. I have this on my work laptop.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.