Lawsuit: off-duty cop working Walmart security falsely accuses man of stealing a tomato, beats him, breaks his leg

Who needs Daleks anyway?

2 Likes

Aside from the main story why is a police officer moonlighting as a security guard? I realize it’s an incredibly common practice and, in an article I read many years ago an officer who not only moonlit as a security guard but wore his police uniform at his security job responded to questions with a huffy, “Are you telling me there’s a limit to how much money I can make?”

Still something about police officers working secondary “security” jobs rubs me the wrong way.

6 Likes

I have nothing against people working a second job(though, if the practice is more by necessity than choice I’d obviously have concerns about their first job); but police officers are…tricky… because it is both reasonably plausible to have a ‘law enforcement experience preferred’ policy when hiring security and dangerously likely that one can curry favor with the local apparatus of state force, without anything that would legally stick as bribery, by being a steady provider of atypically well paid security jobs that are in practice open to cops only.

On the seller side of the bargain, it’s similarly sticky because it’s perfectly legitimate to sell one’s time and skill/experience; but it’s all too easy(even without going as egregiously over the line as wearing one’s official uniform, which you’d hope would violate so many policies it would make your head spin) to also be selling access to state force; which definitely shouldn’t be on the market.

14 Likes

Very good analysis!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 Like

Alimony payments?

3 Likes

And it’s even worse when the business is slightly, somewhat, or completely shady. Because those business often perceive a NEED for “beat people up, no questions asked.” sort of security. Because when you’re breaking the law, violence is the only way of enforcing contracts.

2 Likes

Depending on the city, and how long they have been on the force, cops don’t make a lot of money. Unless they are dirty, selling confiscated drugs and guns on the side or taking bribes from The Kingpin.

IIRC the local cops start at like $35K. the average pay is around $40-50K. Not exactly poor, but but not exactly raking it in either.

They also get paid to sit on the side of the road with their lights on at night at construction sites.

1 Like

This is certainly a proportional response to tomato-stealing.

8 Likes

The word “inverse” comes to mind.

5 Likes

You know how it is - someone starts off as a harmless mass shooter, progresses to organised crime and then if not stopped becomes a tomato thief. Somebody has to end this cycle of violence.

8 Likes

A tomato. Jackass thought Carnegay had stolen a tomato. A fucken tomato. Uh, hey LEOs, have you ever heard the word, “proportionality”?

Mr. Carnegay is lucky he only had a tomato that day–anything larger/more expensive and Johnny Law would’ve skipped the beatdown step to go straight to the kill’em step.

6 Likes

If only Wal-Mart had Chinese crowd control robots instead of guards. The guy could have been sent a notice which he could be given a chance to reply to, maybe with a copy of a receipt instead of having a leg broken by a “guardian”.

I hear in Japan robots will actually feed you tomatoes as you jog.

4 Likes

We all know what it can lead to.

4 Likes

In my area of the country, “average” police salary is easily north of $100k. Base salaries are in the 51-65k range, and overtime puts them well over 100k.
There were (as of 2011) 23 state police making more than $200k.

5 Likes

NYC? I’ve seen some places where it seems insane how much they get paid. Though I guess NYC has a lot of higher cost of living. Also I know some game the system and report massive, some times impossible, amounts of overtime. And of course any job with large unions is going to tend to be better paid.

But again, I would say most cops make much less than $100k

Let’s see… DOL says median is $58K, with the lower end being $33K and $96K being the upper end.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes333051.htm

1 Like

Massachusetts.

Some of the “median” stuff is reported around “base salary” and doesn’t include overtime (or details, or whatever), and in many cases overtime can make up 60% of an officer’s pay. So… yeah. Cops with a base of 58k can double that amount in actual pay.

2 Likes

He probably resisted.

1 Like

My brother in law recently retired from the sheriff office and he regularly moonlighted as security for nightclubs and sports venues. Regulations not only allowed him to wear his uniform and weapons but actually required it. There was a list of “approved” off-duty jobs that deputies could perform while maintaining their official authority. He derived a significant portion of his salary from these jobs in addition to mandatory overtime.

His real crime was Shopping While Black.

8 Likes

SFPD starts at $81,380 including Academy training.
San Jose $83,824, $34.59/hr Academy.
NYPD starts at $41,975.

NYC and the Bay Area are pretty much neck-and-neck in cost of living, so I don’t know the reason for the discrepancy. And it’s not like they’re guaranteed a cushy Mayberry type beat in either place. It does go towards explaining the NYPD’s tendency towards dirtiness and its contentious relationship with any mayor who isn’t Giuliani.

1 Like

I always have to remember to be override by default assumptions in cases like that. I grew up on Long Island; there and in NY have among the highest paid police forces in the country, starting in the 40-45k range (base salary) and over 100k within 10 years; overtime boosts that over 200k for some, with pensions after 20 years. Teachers in the school district I went to (considered below average by local standards, crazily enough) start at over 50k, rising to over 100k after 15 years, and in some cases over 130k including those who teach summer school or run after school activities.

Note: this is how well every profession should be compensated, and why we need more unions or just better labor laws.

3 Likes