Lawsuit: US citizen suing CBP for coercing him into unlocking his phone during boarding at LAX

The UK also has no border controls on exit. The Home Office keeps no record of who has left, AFAIK. Someone checks your passport to make sure you’re entitled to land somwhere else and that’s about it. For example, ferries to Europe - ferry employees are the only people who check your passport. I’m, pretty sure they are not logging any data for the govt - mostly it is a glance at, not a scan of, the passport, to ensure they won’t be landed with you if the other country decides you are not allowed in because no valid passport is held. This contributes to our immigration ‘problem’ because with no exit controls/records, the govt has no really accurate data on who is actually in the country.

But how many days does your mail client retain local copies?

2 Likes

8129 and counting. As for the gentleman in the story, is it so inconceivable that he ordered something from Amazon in the days leading up to his travel?

2 Likes

Gmail on my phone syncs 21 days, although I haven’t confirmed that it deletes the local copy after that time.

Not that CBP is going to switch the phone into airplane mode, or stand in a Faraday cage, before searching to ensure that it doesn’t reload from the cloud.

1 Like

A friend who’s a lawyer told me they are allowed to search on way out. But if an encrypted device they might not get much useful.

The grey area is what if you don’t help? Can they seize the device? Deny your flight? What if they just strongly imply the airline shouldn’t let you but it’s technically the airline denying? What if you go to Buffalo and walk?

The edge cases are more around how much aid you must give to the search and if they can take the device.

Personally, I encrypt my phone and plan that if it’s seized, taken out of my sight etc I’ll trash it. I find that a couple years old phone works just as well for maps and signal.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.