Lead on your lips

[Permalink]

The titanium isn’t much of a surprise(titanium dioxide being not-ghastly successor to white lead in basically all pigment applications); but much of the rest sounds like some seriously shoddy quality control. Are they just grinding raw mineral pigments to size, slapping them in a binder, and selling them to the public as something that effectively ends up as a food item?

It’s not as bad as azarcon; but that’s not a high bar to clear.

A while back there was a study on the correlation between rates of lupus and lipstick. It turns out the lipstick wearers have higher rates of lupus than average. I wonder if there’s a relationship there.

It’s true that lead, cadmium and other heavy metals are bad. What these articles usually fail to point out is that there are trace quantities of just about everything in just about everything.

Worried that there’s 1 ppm of lead in your lipstick? Asparagus has 30 ppm of lead. Tomatoes, 60 ppm. Apples, 64 ppm.

2 Likes

Also, one more cigarette won’t kill me.

Is that lead on your lips or are you just happy to see me?

Sources? Are you sure you don’t mean ppb for the produce you listed? I’ve read a ton of studies on phytoextractors of lead, and the numbers you list are way above anything I’ve seen. The EPA Action Level 1 amount for lead in soil is 300 ppm – you’re suggesting that apples are 20% of that.

3 Likes

Duke, James A. 1992. Handbook of phytochemical constituents of GRAS herbs and other economic plants. Boca Raton, FL. CRC Press.

Thanks for responding. I wish you had provided links to something I could access (I can access scientific journal databases), but I’m a big fan of CRC Press (good textbooks for reasonable prices), so I’m satisfied that your claim is valid. However, I wonder if the data you referred to includes organic lead, or if it’s all inorganic lead, which is what we’re generally talking about when we talk about toxicity.

Also, please don’t think I’m just being trollish – I am very interested in phytoremediation of lead, and the numbers you quoted were very surprising to me.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.