Leak reveals that hundreds of bounty hunters have had access to super-fine-grained mobile location data for years

Thanks! Was trying to remember the name of the follow up book. And did not even know there was a third one.

1 Like

They’re not really follow-up books. Each one explores particular trends of the day extended out to the ragged edge. And we’re going down all three.

6 Likes

Anyone here read Brunner’s The Jagged Orbit? Any good?

They ain’t found me yet!

1 Like

Well maybe not, but the studio can.

1 Like

LOL you won my internet today :slight_smile: heheh

2 Likes

I will submit that John Shirley also got a lot right. What I am hoping for is an age of somewhat spiritually-enlightened AIs and interdimensional contact a la Rudy Rucker. That shit will be my jam!

2 Likes

“Unless you’re over 60, you weren’t promised flying cars. You were promised an oppressive cyberpunk dystopia. Here you go.”

-not me, unfortunately.

7 Likes

Westerners certainly do not bear the brunt of it – the future is, as we know, not evenly distributed:

2 Likes

Time marches on, technologies advance, and more and more people sound closer to becoming practicing Luddites.

1 Like

In a cheap knock-off.
Without the good parts.

5 Likes

what about that thing when they’re looking at satellite photos and the no nonsense badass in charge says enhance 8 times to look into the sunglasses of someone and see the license plate of the fugitive’s car reflected - suddenly not seeming so unlikely anymore is it?

2 Likes

Always thought that was such a weird line. Like, “We might find a use for bounty hunters, but their scum? Useless.”

And they’re all so different. Where does a Trandoshan keep his scum versus, say, an assassin droid?

4 Likes

What happened to the future of Brave New World?

I was expect something in the Star Trek type of future. I do not know, maybe we could get colonies on the moon, vacations on the ocean floor, a student exchange program with Alpha Centauri students…

2 Likes

In a book the bounty hunter would, when he reached the target, just find an empty room with a bomb set to go off in five seconds.

1 Like

I’ve read The Shockwave Rider, I think I’ve got a copy kicking around somewhere. I’d actually forgotten about it, I’ll have to dig it out. Or find an ebook version.
Not read Stand On Zanzibar or The Sheep Look Up, so many books to read!
Gibson is one of my favourite writers, I’ve got everything he’s written, looking forward to the follow up to The Periferal.
Met him a couple of times, lovely man.

1 Like

https://full-english-books.net/english-books/full-book-the-shockwave-rider-read-online

1 Like

And the only carrier that didn’t sell us out was… Verizon? Did I wake up in Bizarro World this morning?

1 Like