Learn to write like an architect

Spot on, but I think you are referring to Adobe Tekton.

1 Like

many many many years ago I worked (briefly) at an architectural firm doing lettering on their designs and plans - while I was pretty good at doing it freehand, we also had thin metal templates we used as stencils to aid in the process - once we got good at it we used the stencils less and less but it was a good way to learn, sort of like training wheels on a bike

the best part about that gig was as we worked we all listened to the radio play version Star Wars - and my colleagues had good weed

2 Likes

rotrings help…

or just ring-a-ding-ding

prefers… arch decon

The trick is to do lots of lettering all day, every day, and evenings and nights, too, and very often all night into the next day.

2 Likes

My dad was an engineer and my sister is an architect and I wish my writing looked like either of theirs.

Hah yup that’s the ticket. 3 decades ago I did that routine for a couple years helping a friend out with an engineering business he was trying to get off the ground. Don’t miss it at all, lol, but the lettering never left me.

Considering I often write labels on bags that go into museum storerooms and are thus theoretically supposed to still be readable in 100 years’ time I should really work on that. In reality my handwriting is very hard to read, even when I’m being extra careful.

I remember that class too, in1964. The teacher (Big Bill Richards) would not accept erasures on any work. Make a mistake,START OVER. I hated it, but to this day I have a low tolerance for sloppy work. I have let my handwriting slip since getting computerized. This video makes me want to refresh. I don’t think Big Bill would be impressed by this guy though.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember the handwriting section in the back of the DLI Russian lesson books using the word пишите as an example.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.