Left-wing activists across the former USSR launch "September," to rally opposition to far-right movements

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/05/left-wing-activists-across-the.html

1 Like

Stories like this leave me completely disoriented. Who is the left, again? Who is the right?

5 Likes

These designations are increasingly meaningless in our modern political climate, I’d argue.

In this case, though (especially given the reference to October, as in the October revolution), this group is attempting to invoke the classical use of the term, of course. But if that actually resonates with reality, that’s harder to ascertain.

5 Likes

There’s no left. There’s no right.

There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars. Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, reichmarks, rins, rubles, pounds, and shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today.

The odd currency name aside, The Network is still a work of prophecy.

I’d love this to be authentic. I’m a lefty myself, and this would cheer me up to no end. But… I worry. Who’s paying their bills? I’ve, during my life in Redactedstan, found myself cheerfully working for a nonprofit which I found out, a decade later, was legitimately financed by the goddamn CIA.

This experience has left me a bit twitchy.

1 Like

This is not uncommon at all. Have you read Hugh Wilford’s book on the relationship between the CIA and tons of different organizations that were meant to be non-profit, during the Cold War?

It’s mindboggling just how many organizations they had their fingers in and just how little oversight actually existed at the time. I have no doubt the same is true today.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.