Legal advice to musicians, after "Blurred Lines": pretend you have no influences

7 Likes

I have just copyrighted the C and G♯ chords. I will be happy to license them to you.

1 Like

If your Black Album lost out to Crest of a Knave, you might carry a grudge against the whole industry too. :wink:

It is! I always appreciated that Suzanne Vega classified her 99.9F album as Industrial. It was, pedantically speaking, exactly that. And polished too.

1 Like

It was Justice, and they had won a grammy already before they sued Jello and Napster. But OK. =)

1 Like

Let’s not forget all the Invisible Records/Pigface weirdness. Those were always fun shows to go to!

1 Like

In the future, we will breed children destined to be sequestered songwriters. They will be indoctrinated exclusively with songs from the public domain.

From the raw ores of Stars and Stripes Forever and Be Thou My Vision, they will forge a chimera which will be sung to mark the date of your birth; of an uncountable ocean of births.

5 Likes

If I didn’t mention it - PIG is touring with Gunter Schultz and En Esch in the band (with Raymond Watts).

I was poor and not feeling it and missed them the other week. I regret it.

Still hope to see Lords of Acid/Combichrist in Lawrence, and travel to see KMFDM and My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult.

ETA - fixed the band name it wont let me use the greater than less than things in the band name…

2 Likes

Also, relatedly, it’s kind of nuts where that rascal Bill Rieflin keeps turning up… he was in REM for a bit after Berry left and now he’s working with King Crimson! Not bad for a guy whose early work includes bands with names like the Revolting Cocks and Lard!

3 Likes

Ya Gwar is great.

2 Likes
1 Like

You mean Green Jelly, since they had to change their name due to a trademark suit from Kraft.

This has been your daily dose of meta-irony.

3 Likes

Well aware. I jello in protest.

2 Likes

With liberal using of the catalog of Raymond Scott who had sold his rights to them earlier.

ETA : @Uncascrooge beat me to it I just now noticed.

3 Likes

Liked for the totally unexpected Ghostbusters reference…

Are you denying the power of Lard?

1 Like

SOP in the industry. Case in point:

1 Like

Dr. Mindy! :blush:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Oh yeah. Holst was liberally sampled for inspiration for the Star Wars score. And not just Mars, Jupiter comes to mind as well.

1 Like