Lego store detains 11-y-o customer, accuses father of being unfit parent

That isn’t the way to behave either.

2 Likes

Well, next time he’ll look out for those petty non-standard brick peddlers you can see on the corner of some disreputable neighborhoods.

“Don’t urinate on the walls” is a hell of a lot different from “these groups of people are not allowed in the store and we will call security if they come in, even though they’ve otherwise done absolutely nothing wrong”.

10 Likes

The price for freedom is eternal vigilance, but it’s included with your paranoia purchase.

3 Likes

No children are allowed in the children’s toy store!

8 Likes

Well, it’s not like the death threat would necessarily have to come from a Canadian…

For contrast, sending children to the store unsupervised was so common when I was a kid that this animated short was standard fare on Sesame Street:

18 Likes

I worked at a Lego store in the UK, we didn’t allow any unattended children in the store for one reason and one reason only: parents used the store as a crèche.

Note that the lad wasn’t popping in to pick up a new toy. He’d been left there by his father while he’d gone off to do his own thing.

The staff in the stores aren’t CRB checked, they’re not day care workers.

The manager just seems like they got all over excited and made things a bit ugly.

I will note though that in my case we’re talking young kids, 3-10 kind of age, 12 is pushing it a bit, kids are shopping on there own at that age.

(We also had a notice :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

A valid reason - and surely one worthy of a sign in the front window with the details.

4 Likes

Blast, my edit was too late - we had a sign, this store probably should have.

5 Likes

I agree. I work at a public library, and our policy is children 10 and under cannot be left alone. The policy is important because it’s the only thing keeping some parents from using public places like this as daycare centers (and then blaming the employees if something happened to their kids), but this particular case sounds like the worst part is in how the store staff handled it.

1 Like

Gold!

“Well, of course I’d LIKE to allow kids to play at the park. But if a tiger got loose from the zoo, it could be attracted to the scent of young meat. So for the children’s safety, we’re forbidding them to play outside.”

3 Likes

Note that the lad was not left there by his father but arrived on his own with his cash to peruse & purchase. Not sure where you got your info from?

6 Likes

Hmm, when I was 12 in (Toronto, around 1959),I took the bus downtown by myself to shop at electronics stores to buy parts to build radios. No one thought anything about it (except for the geeky part about building radios). Times have certainly changed, it seems.

2 Likes

I have no idea what Candy Direct News is even after visiting the site…

anyway in their story:

As of Wednesday, the shop has posted an indication within the window that reads: “To make sure that your baby has a protected and pleasurable expertise in our retailer, please don’t depart them unattended.”

11 years old is not a baby. Someone has a real disconnect between age and reality.

6 Likes

That’s very strange English in general. I think Google Translate would be ashamed.

4 Likes

Not all that strange. It’d fit in equally in both children’s toy stores and adult’s…

1 Like

Yeah, I feel like checking my hard drive for malware after looking at their entire “article”. That is a unsupported-by-human-interaction auto-translation if I ever saw one.

A Calgary father says he’s shocked his eleven-yr-previous son was detained by a safety guard on the Chinook Centre Lego Retailer as a result of the boy was buying alone. Doug Dunlop’s son, Tadhg (pronounced Tige), had $200 of his personal cash on Sunday and was wanting so as to add to his huge Lego assortment. Dunlop says he bicycled a lot of the method to the mall with Tadhg, leaving him to buy on the Lego retailer. The 2 deliberate to satisfy later on the mall for lunch. Within the retailer, Tadhg was requested his age. After he informed the shop supervisor he was 11½, a safety guard was referred to as and the boy was requested to remain in a sure space till his father arrived. It seems Lego has a rule that youngsters underneath 12 shouldn’t be left unattended in its shops. The boy had shopped on the retailer alone many occasions with out incident, stated his father, and had spent hundreds of dollars there — he earned the cash shovelling snow and babysitting. Tadhg had even been requested his age earlier than on a number of events, and the shop staff would joke that it would not be lengthy earlier than he might work there. Dunlop was upset to find his son had been detained within the retailer. “I used to be, in fact, shocked,” he stated. When he walked into the shop, he thought that Tadhg may need knocked over a show, however not that he had completed something mistaken, stated Dunlop. “Why would you detain a great buyer? It is dangerous enterprise.” The shop coverage was not seen inside the shop on the time. However Dunlop, who posted his letter to Lego in a weblog concerning the incident, requested the shop supervisor why the coverage existed. The shop supervisor cited security considerations reminiscent of youngster predators or the potential of an evacuation from the mall. Dunlop stated he was referred to as a “dangerous mother or father” whereas questioning the shop supervisor and the safety guard concerning the coverage. As of Wednesday, the shop has posted an indication within the window that reads: “To make sure that your baby has a protected and pleasurable expertise in our retailer, please don’t depart them unattended.” Amanda Santoro, a Lego model relations supervisor, advised CBC Information in an e mail the corporate stands by the coverage. “As a toy firm, our utmost concern is for youngsters’s security, and as such we now have a coverage in place relating to unaccompanied minors. As this buyer was underneath the age of 12 and alone, we adopted our protocol and stand by our coverage.” In a prolonged letter to Lego, Dunlop says he needs an apology from the shop for detaining his son and for being referred to as a “dangerous mum or dad” by letting him store alone. Now the Dunlops say they’ll by no means store within the Calgary Lego retailer once more. “My son loves Lego. It is his favorite retailer,” he stated. “This coverage does not make sense; it is arbitrary age discrimination the place they determined that youngsters underneath 12 are inconvenient.” Tadhg has additionally been telling his buddies concerning the incident, stated Dunlop. “And they’re incensed. Being eleven years previous is just not a criminal offense.”

5 Likes

You are probably right on the google translate front - but that would likely mean it was translated twice. I just say we should blame @SteampunkBanana and leave it at that and never mention Candy News again :smiley:

I found the likely original on the CBC site:

and the notice is supposedly:
“To ensure that your child has a safe and enjoyable experience in our store, please do not leave them unattended.”

3 Likes

Call me King Candy!

3 Likes