Lenovo preloaded laptops with reformat-resistant perpetual crapware

Yeesh.

GParted can do a pretty good job lobotomizing a drive. And if I smell something really fishy I break out the win98 recovery disk and give the MBR et al a good attitude adjustment. That’ll straighten out any spinning platter’s funnybusiness, of course unless there’s something embedded in the firmware.

2 Likes

Y’know why coreboot support is so virtually nonexistent on remotely recent laptops?

“Intel Boot Guard”, almost always configured in ‘verified boot’ mode. The OEM’s public key is fused into the silicon at the factory; and your replacement firmware had better be signed with a corresponding private key or not much booting is going to happen.

‘Measured boot’ mode is apparently more flexible; but largely moot because it largely doesn’t happen in the wild.

1 Like

The real WTF is the Windows feature that just runs random crap it’s given to. That Lenovo uses it to provide a consistent experience is understandable, and in fact encouraged by the Windows feature.

What makes Lenovo bad in this is that they don’t just install some driver or similar, but instead opted for an insecure installer for drivers. But that’s really only a secondary WTF to the main one.

1 Like

What is happening with the OSS firmware project, I would love to flash everything I use with something I can trust. Not sure if this is it. Open Firmware - Wikipedia

1 Like

The only way this will stop is if people call this out for what it is with news stories such as this.

What I don’t understand is why Lenovo, Oracle, mobile carriers do this stuff. How much can they possibly get from these crapware vendors? How lucrative is it for them.

Honestly, I can’t figure out how the economics of crapware works for the vendors of it.

1 Like

Part of the premium costs for business class hardware is that doesn’t come pre-infected, and you aren’t getting factory seconds and thirds, you’re getting QA. So I think it works out just fine for the OEMs putting this crap on the machines. The business market is where real money is made anyway. The payments from crapware vendors/writers/whatevers subsidize the cost of selling consumer and prosumer level gear cheaper than the business and enterprise level stuff.

1 Like

“Based on this, I wouldn’t recommend Lenovo to Windows users, if I knew any.”

Wow, what an insular and homogeneous circle of friends you must have.

I am just trying to think about how much Lenovo would need to get paid to go out of their way to do this stuff, and expose themselves to risk as well as deal with these slimy vendors. It seems like it would have to be a shit-ton of money-- like 10’s of dollars per unit.

The question this how much can a crapware vendor possibly make off this stuff? How many folks actually use the crapware? 1%, 2% ? Of these how many actually end up generating funds for the crapware vendors? 1 in 10000? How can that be enough to even pay Lenovo?

If I have read correctly, this kinda works. It is just that there is no license to write down. Windows 10 never even asks for one and possibly never will. However, the machine itself is recognized in the cloud as being legit (somehow or 'nother; this all seems a tad suspicious) which also seems to be how one does a clean install of 10 in general. I’d do some more research, but this method should work just fine.

Whoo! Had to read that twice as my brain processed that last part as “(even to realign the drive :D)”, which didn’t make much sense :slight_smile:

Also: haven’t thought about low-level format in quite some days.

2 Likes

Well there are also utilities out there like Darik’s Boot and Nuke that will most assuredly get rid of all usable data on the disk but a bit more drastic than a low level format. But you will have a clean disk to start with for sure.

ETA, fixed the name, also I have used a similar tool at work when prepping boxes for surplus. they do indeed make the drive practically (do you have 100 years and an electron microscope?) unrecoverable for the existing data, and to top it off the get yanked and put in a bin to be shredded, cause just in case.

4 Likes

Ha! Yeah that would be… Weird. But then again with Unicode control characters you could possible name a drive backwards and forwards at the same time.

Or even if you WERE wedded to Windows, you could get a Mac. Off and on, I’ve heard of people installing Windows and just using their Boot Camp partition as their ONLY partition.

(But they mentioned “ultra low-end”, and while the “Apple tax” is largely a myth, Apple doesn’t spec low-end in the same way to get that pricing down.)

but there is a product key code/serial key to write down, and windows 10 does ask for it on a fresh install. you can use ProduKey or a script to get it.

It is true that it might not ask for a key if you did the upgrade on a machine with UEFI firmware, as the upgrade will embed the key into the UEFI firmware and read it back from that on the clean install.

How to get your product key (note works on windows 10 as well)

1 Like

that type of software gets rid of data by doing pattern writes over the data, which is more drastic then a format. the type of low level formatting they are discussing is something else altogether from back in the day when you could re-align the drive heads and actually change where/how the drive was writing the data. See this LINK for the difference between the modern meaning and the historical meaning.

those data wipe utilities you mention cannot get at data in the drive reserve sector pool, the deallocated sector pool, or any non-consumer addressable portion of the drive that some manufacturers are putting a hidden utility partition in that cannot be formatted or written to, etc. Also, I believe these utilities in the article aren’t even on the drive.

3 Likes

At work we just use one of these. By the time we decommission machines, the harddisks have so many bad sectors and operating hours that we just write off the HDD altogether:

Big magnets are cool. You should see what that thing does to a straightened out steel paperclip.

Oh man for the secure stuff, 7 passes of random 1’s and 0’s, then dropped some number of times through a special magnet, then shredded. Talk about overkill.

Usually we just run the drive twice through the electromagnet. It goes bang a few times. I opened a drive up once out of curiosity and that magnet’s pulse literally delaminated all the metal off the glass platters. It was just toxic metal dust piled up in the bottom of the drive case.

5 Likes

Wow thats actually pretty awesome.