Lenovo sued over preinstalled spyware

[Permalink]

I was involved once in a class-action suit. You’re about right on the time and the payout. They’ll send you about 500 updates in the meantime, and there’s a good chance the case will be dismissed in 2019. But don’t worry, I don’t think the lawyers will go home empty-handed.

5 Likes

A $5 voucher towards the purchase of any 2019 model Lenovo, no less. Don’t want to cannibalize the market for the newest devices!

1 Like

If they offered a $25 “op-out” they could avoid these things. For $25 they don’t install anything that other companies have paid to have installed on what will soon become computer (ok, maybe $25 is optimistic, but I’d pay $20 to have McAfee not installed). It’s kind of an extortion racket, but if you don’t plan on wiping the disk it’s probably the better of the evils.

2 Likes

There is never any excuse to use a computer off the shelf with who-knows-what installed onto it. Between the manufacturer, retailer, NSA, and other random factors - there is just no way to be sure. Start from a blank drive every time.

1 Like

Hand-build all your computers from dust to be sure.

4 Likes

That does sound incredibly like extortion, i don’t know the legal side but morally for sure.

Not the kind of thing anyone should be suggesting IMHO, even as a joke :confused:

The Microsoft Store, at least here in Canada, sells “Signature Edition” laptops. No bloatware, no nonsense, and almost always significantly cheaper than the exact same, bloatware-riddled, model from the manufacturer. I got my Dell XPS 13 Signature Edition for something like $300 cheaper than what Dell was selling the exact same model for.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.