Leonard Cohen, RIP

BD"E

Kaddish for a great artist

8 Likes

I was in london in the sixties when we meet joan and started dating her loveliness
she had borrowed two albums from a friend and one being a cohen item probably the first great hits and the usa edition of hair and she was playing them end to end consistently

dance me to end of love

he did an interview with a radio 1 DJ in the eighties and it was an eye opener
they talked about power coming from china and he said they are never like the west in terms of grief

1 Like

you ain't heard nothin' yet

“A singer must die for the lie in his voice.”

On a personal level these last two years have been pretty interesting.
While loved ones die around me and the world goes to shit my personal life has been better than ever.
I almost feel guilty (no - not really. Maybe a little bit.).

When Nate Silver started comparing Trump’s chance of winning to the Cub’s chances (when they were two games down), I began to develop a sort of superstitious dread of their winning. It’s been strangely persistent for me.

2 Likes

It’s not just the Cubs.

Last August, no one would have predicted Leciester City winning the English Premier League or Hibernian winning the Scottish Cup, at least not without being laughed at.

2 Likes

While much more a personal level song, no song has ever resonated with me more than Leonard Cohen’s “Dance me to the end of Love”

A gifted, insightful and kind person all around. Mr. Cohen, you will be missed for generations, thank you for the gifts you left the world.

3 Likes

“Toot-toot-tootsie, Goodbye”?
Huh?

This week we all died a little.

3 Likes

Now you can say that I’ve grown bitter but of this you may be sure
The rich have got their channels in the bedrooms of the poor
And there’s a mighty judgment coming, but I may be wrong

6 Likes

Through the sad tidings that brought you here i bid you well-come to the commentariat.

5 Likes

Nope. It’s the “Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain’t heard nothin’ yet.” scene.

I know what you’re saying. For me it was the Trump candidacy.

1 Like

Yit’gadal v’yit’kadash sh’mei raba

3 Likes

Please god, make me a stone.

But they’ve summoned, they’ve summoned up
a thundercloud
and they’re going to hear from me.

Go get 'em, man.

2 Likes

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in.

6 Likes

This song now more than ever. That line now more than ever.

9 Likes

“I will not let you go until you bless me”

Hard to think of better words on his passing. This was written a couple of years ago for his 80th bday, but I thought it was interesting and inspiring reading of his life and work:

http://standpointmag.co.uk/node/5687/full

2 Likes

“Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince; And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.”

RIP

6 Likes