Let's get this place ship-shape!

Well, Since we’re voting… Debian. Mint’s core development and bug reporting have been spotty at best and Ubuntu is increasingly making it hard to do things in “expert mode”. Take with 2 grains of salt from a BSD head.

4 Likes

BSD is for nerds.

(Shuffles feet uncomfortably)

9 Likes

Stripping out parts of the core BSD distribution to fit on CF for embedded systems, (back when you had to worry about such things) is for nerds.

6 Likes

I love There I Fixed It!!

5 Likes

I was kidding, I don’t actually have a spare monitor to implement this with. but it’s a neat idea, though.

2 Likes

[cough] That black thing you see at the right of my desktop clutter is my FreeBSD :smiling_imp: file server for the home network, with an eentsy pfSense firewall (also FreeBSD :smiling_imp:) sitting atop it.

5 Likes

Probably better for another thread, but don’t you find PFSense has a lot of extra code? Doesn’t it even have a web UI? What’s with all the extra attack surface and PHP?

3 Likes

Soooooooo… Lynx in Arch then?

Lolllllllllllllll

4 Likes

(Note to self, stop being such a bad ambassador for FreeBSD.)

4 Likes

I’ve got Mint. I like it so far and prefer it over Debian.

2 Likes

Potting shed tidied. Horrible shed demolished.

6 Likes

I’d like to pretend that the garage has been tidied up, but that wouldn’t be true. However, the part near the workbench has been tidied enough so that soldering could take place safely.

8 Likes

I gave up on fixing the gas-powered weedwhacker, and while my wife was off on a work trip I bought a cheap electric weedwhacker and a cheap lawnmower from Sears, so she came back to a backyard that you can actually walk across. Maybe I’ll actually manage to keep it that way for a while now.

Then this past weekend I cleaned three mountains of paper off my desk, and sorted them enough to sort out and file a year and a half worth of financial records for myself + two side businesses. I need to get a bunch of stuff to an accountant before the tax extensions expire.

There are still several stacks of stuff left to file, but I think all the critical financial records are pulled out of them now. Gah, dealing with this stuff stresses me out, even though I know having it sitting around and not dealt with is still more stressful.

6 Likes

If we call the former s, and the latter S, then
S>s
Weed multiplies this by -1.

4 Likes

I did in fact sell the old house (escrow closed last week), and in the process removed seven (7) full dumpsters of accumulated junk. Car parts, books, clothes too beat-up to donate, appliances too obsolete to repair… I’m not even counting all the bins full of perfectly-cromulent VHS tapes I simply left underneath an obscure corner of the house.

New house is currently being put together. Maybe 80% of the pictures have been hung. Hooray!

9 Likes

Four years in, and I just got the necessary bits to hang at least the majority of our pictures (only two were hung right away: the actual “art” pieces). So, be very proud of yourself!

6 Likes

our company just had our carpets replaced. we had to box up everything offices and common areas. it became a massive collective purging of old junk. We all found a lot of ancient history in the process, the whole thing turned into a sweaty, sore armed trapse down memory lane. I threw away almost all the old papers i was hanging onto, but did hang up a org chart from 8 years ago when I started and we were exactly 10 people. We’re over 75 now with an org chart like a candyland gameboard. The carpets look…well, new anyway.

Next up our shared drive. recently IT informed us we literally broke it with miles-deep filenames. not sure why windows would allow you to make file paths that it can’t retrieve…

7 Likes

I’ve dealt with that problem before.

If it’s what I think it is, you should be able to unbreak it by mapping a shared drive to a folder about halfway through the hierarchy.

5 Likes

It’s always tricky dealing with the file name limitation in Windows (255 characters counting full path so 252 (three taken off for x:\ at the beginning)). Windows will let you do it but once you’ve done it, stuff starts breaking in weird ways.

I haven’t played around with stuff like that since Windows XP. I’m not sure if exFAT has the same limits. I’m pretty sure the move from “Documents and Settings” to “users” came from the foibles of the file name limits in FAT32 and NTFS though.

The mapping trick may let you copy the files out but, at least in XP, the only consistently successful way to fix the files in place was to rename the folders until the longest path complies with the standard. Maybe a symlink instead?

If I had to fix it once today, I’d use my standard one-off fix … Excel and Regex to make a batch file. :laughing: Considering what I was doing at the time I had to deal with this, an automated version of the Excel/Regex/Batch would have worked well. Back then … some code to pull the files in and rename them to something shorter so USMT wouldn’t lose the files.

I’m so glad I no longer have to write userland kludges to make MS tools work with each other on “edge” cases.

Speaking of 255 and limits, whichever (recent) version of Adobe Pro I have won’t accept more than 255 characters of file name input. I recently had to make like 40 PDFs at one time. Excel/Regex/Batch to the rescue.

4 Likes

Well, dang.

The homeowners association is doing a complete survey of the entire neighborhood day after tomorrow, checking compliance re covenants and by-laws, going house to house and in everyone’s front yard, back yard, staring at house siding, windows, screens, etc.

In our house, no one even knows who Martha Stewart is and could care even less.

I have a lot of cleaning up to do before the enforcers show up to our humble 800 square foot (74.3 square meters) half of a duplex, and one of the guys on the inspection squad is a real martinet. There’s also a woman who has been complaining about our family’s many projects that go on in full public view [oh horrors!] every week for months. Pretty sure she just plain hates us. We have no garage, no carport, no quonset hut (I want one sooooooo baaaaaaaaaad for a woodshop and my welding rig), no barn or any other structure to park our projects.

Today, for instance, I did a complete tear-down, stain and lube and rebuild of two expensive wheelbarrows. I am almost done but for two rusty nuts and I’ve hit them with WD-40 and they still won’t budge with vise-grips clamped to the bolt heads. Amid the mosquitos and chiggers I figured out that the smoker we use to smoke beehives works really well driving other bugs away. Plenty of old leaves to keep throwing in the smoker.

Crikey, there goes my entire weekend. Mowing, edging, sweeping, moving beehive parts, lumber, deer fencing, sorting though all my black poly nursery pots that I was about to do repotting with… I sure hope I can pull it all together before They Show Up and Write Us Up. There’s talk of fines and liens. I guess it’ll be coffee tomorrow, though usually I don’t do coffee on the weekends.

“Let’s get this place ship-shape” indeed. Here’s hoping naked bribery will motivate my family members to help me. I’m going to need all the helping hands I can muster.

/rant

8 Likes