Let's see how nerds snarking in court works out for them

Does it apply in the United States in our courts?

1 Like

and a rant about DRM?

6 Likes

First off, I read the article, and that lawyer was being deliberately obnoxious. He might also have been inexcusably ignorant for someone in his position, but he might just have been being a jerk.

Second, unlike the case of Keys, they aren’t judging Schwartz, so he really has no particular incentive to be more civil to them than they deserve, as long as he can stay on this side of a contempt charge.

Also from the Article :

7 Likes

We’ll find out when Cory blogs about the same story in a couple of days’ time.

9 Likes

I honestly can’t tell what your stance is, but it looks a little like you’re on the side that has decided the best strategy is just calling everyone who understands APIs (in this case, everyone who is qualified to have an opinion) a mean name.

2 Likes

Wish I had seen this first (this bbs doesn’t show more than one level of nested posts at first). It clarifies your viewpoint. I still completely disagree; every extension of copyright/patents over software has been massively bad for everyone, with almost no benefit to anyone. It’s the only reason you can’t play minigames or do something interesting while a video game level loads, to pick one tiny example. I do see what you’re saying though.

4 Likes

I wonder how Cory would have spun this story.

#Save Sun Microsystems!

10 Likes

Only 6 years too late for that!

4 Likes

Oh, it benefits the copyright holders and their attorneys.

Yes, I should have said “no benefit to almost anyone”.

2 Likes

The best analogy I’ve found to explain what an API is, is to compare it to a car’s commands: driving wheel, pedals, levers, displays, etc. Two cars with different engines and overall wiring and even size, can share the same UI. Two cars with the same engine can have different UIs.

2 Likes

Lovely! But I feel that your explanation would serve best to explain it all to geeks/nerds, who understand these subjects anyhow.

Yay… I am a “nerd” and “that friend” because I care about open source… When the hell did Boing Boing turn into this site where everything not apple was seen as pathetic and sad? Why link to a puff piece mocking the work of us doing things for everyone on our spare time?

I couldn’t care less about what happens with some multimillionaire in Silicon Valley, but thanks for taking the part of some adult version of a high school bully mocking the nerds, or someone who think they are being pragmatic bashing FOSS people (hey nice servers, satellites, ISS, CERN computer system etc etc you guys got - you should tell those sweaty nerds to FO). It’s not like everyone have to high five people who does work for free, used by billions, but it would be grand if you at least didn’t mock us for your own amusement. But I guess that’s what the “cool people” do…?

2 Likes

Never or ten years ago? Cory quit being an Apple fan boy somewhere around then…

2 Likes

2 Likes

So, from a Slashdot comment, I notice that the Judge in question is an amateur programmer. It may be worth reading all of his comments as being for the jury. (You know, those who couldn’t get out of jury duty.)

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/193-android/4224-oracle-v-google-judge-is-a-programmer.html

1 Like

The piece was mocking a group of nerds failing to connect with normals in a courtroom, but I didn’t see anything mocking the work of volunteers doing stuff. (I was honestly pretty amused by the piece, but I like Sarah Jeong’s work in general, and maybe am biased.)

1 Like

Wonder if he ever modded that Apple tat.

2 Likes

Sounds more like Ayn Rand, really.

1 Like

Well, how would you tell the court it’s completely out of its depth making that kind of charge? James Gosling left a few notes, so it’s not beyond the pale to read some understanding of those…copy fee for the prosecuting attorney, 10 billion…something. Fresh cocoa beans.