Let's talk Great Filter

6 Likes

This seems quite plausible to me. The Drake equation should probably include another variable, how sensitive to alien intelligence this species is. Given that we routinely fail to notice sentience within our own species, it’s not hard to imagine that something like “so long and thanks for all the fish” could be going on under our noses, and we’d be oblivious.

There are two sub-groups of possibility here, Alien intelligence could be actively hiding itself, waiting until humanity grows the fuck up, or we’re simply not correctly interpreting the abundant signs of alien intelligence that are all around us. They’re not mutually exclusive, there could be plenty of clues as well as some kind of masquerade. I might call these the “Easter egg hunt hypothesis”.

5 Likes

video was excellent

3 Likes

I’m calling it now: the first lifeforms to discover one of the Voyagers will be ourselves. the stellar equivalent of finding the cave paintings at Lascaux.

10 Likes

We can only hope so.

Included amongst them is a “message of peace”…from President Nixon.

4 Likes

Relax for 1,500 years – we’re just mediocre!

1 Like

If we’re just a souped-up version of the Sims, that would explain why I set the kitchen alight so often. Hm.

4 Likes

Most likely, we’d dig it up and use it to make smartphone processors.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 360 days. New replies are no longer allowed.