Lets turn everything into Facebook

It’s against the principle of passive consumption.

Twitbook should basically be TV-viewing, but with the occasional “like” clicked.

1 Like

I thought that was the beauty of this place :confused:

1 Like

I’m not sure why there’s so much negativity towards Facebook, because my FB experience is great on a daily basis - interesting people, lively and informative communities, solid discussions, projects friends are working on - a happy mutant wonderland. There’s not a day goes by without at least a couple of interesting posts catching my eye, and I’m grateful for it.

Of course you have to engage with it and put some effort in, the same as everything else (Twitter, for example). But it pays off if you do.

I realise this post is about homogenisation and lack of vision rather than the evils of FB - and I certainly wouldn’t say FB is perfect - but whenever I read the inevitable scathing or jaded comments that follow, I wonder why so many people seem to end up with unenjoyable Facebook experiences. It seems a real shame.

1 Like

This is what turned me off FB:

1. I hate the UX. It just seemed way too complicated for what it was trying to achieve.

2. My first 50 “friends” were people I’d met in real life and who encouraged me to join FB because they used it to organise arts and cultural events I was interested in attending. They neglected to mention they were all addicted to “What 80s Sitcom Star Are You?” -style quizzes.

3. Further to 2, the signal:noise/peer pressure was outside my usual boundaries.

4. Maintenance time due to 2&3 became too high.

5. Editing my friends list and preferences didn’t have the results I’d hoped for to improve signal:noise. Meanwhile, the UX/UI was getting worse, not better.

6. I got to the point where I’d just update my wall status and scan the statuses of people I followed.

7. Epiphany: Twitter is just the statuses, and the follow/followed paradigm isn’t based on “friends”, but content!

So I quit FB and joined Twitter. Soon after I discovered I wasn’t the only FB refugee on Twitter, not by a long shot.

I know people who have made FB work, to be sure, but it annoyed me greatly. If it works for you, great, enjoy, but don’t be surprised when I refuse to join up again.

Which is why, contrary to the top-level post, my stance is very strongly that having a world with FB and a bunch of FB clones is no way to do social media. As with many things, diversity is the best overall option.

Edit: I tried to fix the numbering in the list, but it’s correct in edit mode :frowning:

Try the “view conversation” link. Also try clicking on hashtags (#) that look interesting.

And if you want to find people who talk about things you like to read about, try using the search field.

Chats tend to happen at specific times and days, but if you search for “[topic] chat” you should be able to find some. Chat organisers are not always the best about stating the time zone when they give the time, so watch out for that.

I generally hate Twitter because of the 140 character limit. It’s just too short for me, particularly when you have to include @'s and if you want hashtags, forgetabout it. Yes, other people seem to manage, but maybe some of us are just slightly less pithy and need a bit more space to articulate our thoughts.

I am right there with you. I’ve been on it a bit longer, like 3 years, but I have also never tweeted. I have about 10 followers, and it’s so confusing. I even changed my bio text (or whatever it’s called) to ask why someone would follow an account which has never tweeted. I’ve had two follows since then, so my guess is that they are not actual people. They must be bots, at least that’s my guess.

1 Like

In order to assist with the process of turning everything into facebook, please send me all of your personal information to make things more “social”.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.