Socialize with Boing Boing, on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+

[Permalink]

Sorry, but you could not pay me enough to sign up for that crap.

1 Like

look. If you need money, just ask for some money.
I’d rather pay cash then click + for Google.

2 Likes

Not now. Not ever. Boing Boing is where I first learned the importance of internet privacy. Just searching Boing Boing for “Facebook” or “Google+” will bring up dozens of reasons why signing up for them is a bad idea. Seeing those same social media sites now advertised and actively encouraged here on a weekly basis is as surreal as it is disgusting.

1 Like

Lots of people find a lot of value in social media, regardless the privacy issues. The use of social media to engage with a wider audience is pretty much part and parcel of being an internet publication, which we are. We will continue to do what we feel appropriate to engage with all our readers and provide for a future that includes a Boing Boing that we’re proud of.

I also have to thank Xeni for taking social on for BB. She is working, tirelessly, to figure out how we can most effectively engage in social spaces. Its not easy as we really do want to have an authentic voice there, not just parrot/retweet what we are putting on the site. We were doing that for a long time, listened to the complaints of the people who did want to ‘follow’ us there and she has made a huge difference in that content. We’re proud of what you are doing, thanks Xeni!

2 Likes

You know what’s awesome? Organic social growth. You know what’s lamer than lame? Having to ask people to “like” you.

Have faith in your own merits, Boing Boing. Keep with the good content, and the social shit will follow.

1 Like

The use of social media to engage with a wider audience is pretty much part and parcel of being an internet publication, which we are.

Exactly! If there’s one reason I’ve kept reading Boing Boing over the years, it’s because I appreciate how much the site endeavors to go with the flow, just like everybody else.

1 Like

[quote=“jlw, post:5, topic:15152”]Lots of people find a lot of value in social media, regardless the privacy issues.
[/quote]This is true for the internet in general. We’re all giving something up in the way of privacy, just by being here. It’s hardly limited to participants in social media.

1 Like

No. Just, no.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.