Like engineers fleeing a phallic-shaped rocket...

Saying it’s a really bad idea was the whole point of the original post?

1 Like

Life’s too short to unpack this. Have a nice day.

2 Likes

No, the point of my original post was to have an excuse to link to a video of my awesome thingamabob! Now can you two please stop this back-and-forth?

7 Likes

Even if they were to workout the mechanics of it, the instantaneous jump to Max-Q when it leaves the centerfuge and hits the atmosphere would vaporize any payload.

i think in this scenario, spacex is meg ryan and blue origin is the woman at the other table who says: i’ll have what she’s having.

4 Likes

From this:

As the rocket spins in the centrifuge, a port will open for a fraction of a second to let the rocket shoot out. Per company patents, a counterbalance that spins in the opposite direction will also be released to prevent the tether from becoming unbalanced. After coasting for about a minute, the rocket will ignite its engines at approximately 200,000 feet in altitude.

How does the counterbalance go in the other direction if the rocket is going up? Is there a hole in the ground?

Why? Are the g-forces getting to you? /s

1 Like

Roll out

2 Likes

The Big Flee. Something similar happened at Rocketdyne in 2005-2006, although not as news-worthy then since Elon had yet to truly become a bona fide “rock star”. About a dozen or so of Rocketdyne’s engineers and valuable top-notch development techs/mechs left for SpaceX – the former to get in on the ground floor and away from new owner UTC, and the latter to escape unsupportive union representation who saw super standout performers (the minority) as a problem for other techs/mechs (the majority). Over the course of three years, both groups had members reporting (or returning with) tales of woe, i.e., enforced unpaid extended hours and unsafe working conditions. Some who didn’t return went over to other companies. It will be interesting to watch the career trajectories of the Blue Origin escapees – especially the ones who end up at SpaceX.

1 Like

My money is on at least one of them being condemned to shovel radium into the furnaces that keep the city of the bird-men aloft, then making a dramatic escape on a hover-scooter shaped like a steam-iron…

3 Likes

I wonder if they’re finally tired of the having to pee in bottles thing …

Weird. Bezos is known for great places to work …

With those g-forces the electrical contacts on surface components would warp and could short to other components. Everything would need to be epoxied down to the board. Fiber-optics will crack under high g-forces but can still be usable. Most gyros would be destroyed (DTG, ring-laser, FOG types for sure. HRG might survive), so good luck guiding the rocket without a complicated ground-based system of x-band tracking radar and a near constant guidance uplink.

And I haven’t even mentioned what would happen to the rocket motor itself.

1 Like

Is it not round and round?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.