List of inventors killed by their own inventions

French or no, he was appropriately smoking.

1 Like

On a related note, the French mathematician/physicist JB Fourier, discoverer of - among other things - the partial differential equation that governs heat flow, believed that staying (excessively) warm would aid his chronic ill health. My History of Science professor told us that JB kept his home at a high temperature and himself forever wrapped in a blanket. On May 4, 1830 he tripped on said blanket while descending the stairs of his home, aggravating his condition and dying a couple of weeks. Arguably his death can be attributed to his fascination with heat.

4 Likes

I think there is an important nuance between being killed by something and being not saved by something. :slight_smile:

A bullet or explosion kills you. An airbag or parachute can fail to save you. There’s a difference.

It’s something that kinda bugs me, because I hear about people who were “killed” by something like a defibrillator. The semantics matter in how the incident is perceived.

That does raise the question: did the defibrillator kill Norris and/or Doc Copper?

So would I. That chair did not look safe at all.

Poor guy, though.

3 Likes

Or not, as the case may be.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.