Living in an 84-square foot house

According to the article, this isn’t too far from what she did. Probably the only thing stopping her from using the garden hose method is the lack of a good water hookup.

/drifts into happy reverie about the amount of useless and/or broken tat that could be stored in a 3500 sq ft version of Wham Towers/

1 Like

Many moons ago I dated a landscaper. We were dream designing a house which would have brick floors that went to a drain so you could hose it down after a party, and also there would be a tree in the middle of the house. Also out back would be a series of three water spigots that you could lie under while hanging out in the hot Alabama sun. It was a nice dream. He was also a really talented landscaper so he could have probably pulled it off.

3 Likes

You live in a series 1 Range Rover?
/jealous

1 Like

I think the missing variable in that equation is “How much pretentious bragginess can I get for the money?” and by that standard, tiny houses fare pretty well.

4 Likes

I’ll take the pretentious bragginess of small-house dwellers over the ones on the other end of the spectrum.

6 Likes

After they have finished their house based on Versailles, how long do we wait before we do the French Revolution reenactment?

4 Likes

OMG, have you seen the documentary on this? It is A-FREAKING-MAZING. They started filming it just before the real estate bust when these folks were living high on the hog. Then, a short while into filming, these people became less affluent.

What’s nuts is watching how these people live- the buckets and buckets of THINGS they buy and no one seems to care about them, the dogs that shit everywhere, and the husband is getting more and more agitated as he loses one of his buildings which, yeah, he’s getting screwed out of but God just let it go dude - all while living already in a giant mansion with more stuff than most of us could dream of.

2 Likes

You could just get a prefab cabin kit or garden shed kit and customize it; like these kits here:
http://www.summerwood.com/products/cabins

People use these for a vacation home on a lot of wooded land, or for and an elderly parent who isn’t quite ready to move in the house with their kids, but put one of these up in the back yard. With plumbing and power of course.

1 Like

Yep. The thing that stuck with me was that the family came across not only as unpleasant, but miserable. This tiny-house dweller seems to have achieved the “personal fulfillment” thing a lot more successfully than David and Jackie Siegel.

2 Likes

I’d own an e-reader/tablet. I have several THOUSAND books on mine. . .

… It’s left her with more time to spend with family and friends …

Hmmm.

No wheels, but sturdy

10 Likes

[quote=“LemoUtan, post:52, topic:29156, full:true”]
… It’s left her with more time to spend with family and friends …
Hmmm.
[/quote]Yep because her house doesn’t have a shower, she probably sees them a lot. Does it still count as a “house” without water, or is it a shed/studio?

I think it’s a bit dishonest to say she has 84 square feet in the house when she has a second floor that is 50% of the first floor plus a porch. The 84 sounds remarkable and gets her lots of headlines and attention, but, she’s actually using 126 square feet of living space inside plus probably 16 to 20+ sq feet on the porch. That said, I saw the MythBusters episode about bacteria and the bathroom and don’t really want to be sleeping or cooking in the same room with my toilet.

A cousin of mine had 6 children in 6 years (planned) and designed her house so that every room had a drain in the middle of the floor and all of the furniture was attached to the wall with at least a foot of open space at the bottom. She really could hose down every room.

She is, without question, the coolest relative in my family.

7 Likes

Invest in a good e-reader, then learn to use Calibre with the DeDRM plugins. Then buy from quite a few stores and never worry about losing your books.

3 Likes

I keep thinking that all of these micro-houses would be a lot nicer if they had two rooms. Then, maybe they’d be mini-houses. Of course, then it dawns on me that there are hundreds of mini houses where I live. They’re called mother-in-law houses/suites.

1 Like

A lot of families here in Hong Kong live in less than 400 sq ft apartments, and a considerable number of low income families are living in less than 150 sq ft spaces.

The first public housing in Hong Kong (in the 50s) allowed 25 sq ft per person, leading to flats of 100 sq ft for families. The last of these blocks was demolished in the early 2000s. My wife spent her childhood in a 150 sq ft flat (with her family of four) and can recall moving into a 450 sq ft flat as a teen and marveling at the space.

We have such a housing shortage now that tens of thousands live in illegal structures atop older apartment blocks, and sub-divided flats and factory building spaces. Here is a photo that gives a sense of family life in small spaces.

8 Likes

Nearly all of them are on wheels. When the Soylent Greens are shouldering their way in your front door, the idea is that you move to Oregon and park it among the redwoods, where there aren’t any people.

2 Likes