London was almost turned into an L.A.-style highway hell by 1960s urban planners

Also nice for nighttime driving:

(The Euromix has the lyrics in English, German and French.)

2 Likes

I guess the M4… was the sole survivor

Untitled

1 Like

Wasn’t that song about the A63?

No, wait, that’s the Road to Hull. Easy mistake to make.

3 Likes

My grandad worked for the GLC*, but even in my family it was said that their unofficial motto was “Finishing What the Luftwaffe Started”. Although that’s also said about various other city-councils in the post war years.
However, I do like motorways that end up in the heart of cities, like the M32 into Bristol, or the M621 into Leeds. There’s something about speeding along with houses each side before dropping abruptly into city-centre traffic.

/Greater London Council, not to be confused with Goldie Lookin’ Chain

You’d like San Francisco- both major freeways (101 and 280) plunge 65mph and six lanes wide into the city and just…. stop. It’s kinda freaky the first time. The 110 does this into Pasadena as well. All those ribbons of high velocity asphalt come to an abrupt end with a traffic light at the end of them.

I don’t know if that’s all that NIMBYism covers. For example, I know the term was used very recently to describe the pushback that rich property owners were giving for proposed windmills off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard.

That’s an applicable edge case that’s driven by the same motivation (concern about the new construction supposedly lowering the value of the NIMBY’s property). More generally, when we talk about NIMBYism we’re talking about opposition to MFH developments rather than windmills.

In any case, the point is that this was not the motivation behind Jane Jacobs’ opposition to the high-density housing trends of mid-century America.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.