Look at this perfect response to a pyramid schemer

great podcast series here about how the MLM business targets the poor. ‎The Dream on Apple Podcasts

2 Likes

I listened to that, and it pretty much filled in the detail of what I already assumed about MLMs – the founders are utterly cynical and crime-adjacent, the top sellers are psychopaths, and the bottom of the pyramid are people driven to the edge.

I wouldn’t say that these schemes target the poor though. (If someone’s flat broke, you can’t sell them magic powders). The desperation they prey on is not desperation for money, but desperation to believe in the fantasy of meritocratic capitalism.

That’s why I point the finger at the regular folks who peddle that fantasy, when they know deep down it’s bullshit. Like many of my relatives, and none of my friends, these are the people who act like their jet-ski dealership and their double-mortgaged house are badges of moral worth. If you’re surrounded by people like that, it’s easy to see why you’d end up in an MLM scam, because everyone you know is grifting already.

3 Likes

Another good reason to blur your house on streetview

1 Like

You are doing gods work. Thank you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.