Look at this photo printed on algae in a petri dish

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/10/look-at-this-photo-printed-on.html

13 Likes

likes and subscribes

6 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (1)

11 Likes

“The Petri Dish” - my new name for 45’s White House.
THIS petri dish is much more likeable.

5 Likes

Me: Hey, this is cool!

My wife: Don’t even think about it.

Joke’s on her, I don’t even have an enlarger!

Seriously, I am half-assedly working on some custom negative holders to do some scanning; I occasionally develop B&W film because I like the Holga-Diana aesthetic and more importantly it’s fun but not lately.

6 Likes

If you’re willing to scan negatives you don’t need an enlarger, you can use a projector!

8 Likes

I was going to use my DSLR, actually. At one point I had a scanner but it was more trouble than it was worth.

1 Like

He turned himself into a planar Chia Pet.

3 Likes

“Algae photos” are the new “viral videos.”

10 Likes

On a poetic level, this is kind of like a scale model of what another certain small organism is doing to the human layer of this planet.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the most uplifting content today.

ETA: let’s do this in three dimensions. Like a 3D printer, crossing beams. In a block of agarose. But you gotta keep it ■■■■■…

3 Likes

I like these ones too - they’re done with grass.

6 Likes

I hate to be the negative guy, but I don’t buy it. That top image looks just like a negative image of the projected image onto the dish in the third shot down, not a finished algae image. Also, I really find it hard to believe algae would exhibit that fine of resolution. Looking at it again - it doesn’t even look like the image is formed from algae at all. I hope I’m wrong, because this would be cool, but, just can’t be.

Edit: The more I look the more incredulous I become.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.