Look, it's just not that big of a deal that the iPhone is going to have a USB port

Beyond the camera lens and sensor specs, do you know if they’ve toned down the automatic image processing at all? I much preferred sensor noise to the “AI” paintbrush effect that shows up on my 13. It’s the first iPhone camera that I’ve hated.

E.g., I tried to photograph a jumping spider on the potting soil of one of my plants. Looked great before I clicked the capture button, but then the AI decided that the brown spider was just soil and painted it right out of the final image

2 Likes

Wait, what?
I have an iphone 13 pro. I’ve never had that happen.

It’s most visible when using digital zoom, but it’s always there. You see the preview, click the shutter button, and get your photo…and then a fraction of a second later it changes. If it’s in good lighting and only using the optical zoom, the change is often slight, but digital zoom and/or in less than optimal lighting, you should see it.

The only workaround that I know of is to change to uncompressed/raw photos at ~25MB apiece

2 Likes

I should probably put together a list of interesting-but-overpriced lightning peripherals (the FLIR IR cameras come to mind, probably some others) that will potentially be hitting ebay once people start swapping out phones.

1 Like

OK, interesting. Did some googling while I was not paying attention in a meeting…
Check out the article below. How do you have that outside the frame set? Mine is “on”.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/22/how-to-use-deep-fusion-on-iphone-cameras/

Thanks for the help. Mine was also set to on. Shutting it off, or even using burst mode where “deep fusion” isn’t used, you can see the “painter” effect. For grins, I turned on the Raw image format to see if it would help, but it really doesn’t. There is still a slight pause and then automatic image processing is applied.

We’re pretty off topic at this point, so it’s probably best to take it to DMs if you care to continue. Here’s an album with images from the four experiments (obviously reencoded to jpg, but the processing is less subtle than jpg artifacts). IMO, the burst extract looks best, but the effect is still there. Taken using the 3x zoom button, which should be optical zoom but I suspect I’m getting this effect from the digital zoom feature being applied.

ETA: Yep, there’s digital chicanery going on there as I realized the automatic “macro” mode was enabled. I shut that off and got slightly more reasonable results. But it’s a great example of Apple’s “just don’t think about it” lack of control falling apart for edge cases. If I were taking pictures of full size plants from feet away, or typical golden-hour selfies and portraits, I’m sure the pictures would look great. These photos have more detail even though I had to take them from further away to stay in focus.

1 Like

There’s a bigger problem for me than the color. The fact that you can’t name a group text chain if there’s a non-iOS participant.

So how come we’d say “You’re not really that much of a pedant?”

“You’re not really that much a pedant” sounds clearly wrong. What’s the “of” doing in one case vs the other?

2 Likes

It’s not a big deal but should have happened without government regulation. Just like an open texting standard should…

1 Like

My wife likes it, and she is a photographer. My camera experiences is limited to taking photos of where I park so I don’t forget so I am very unqualified!

Big is an adjective of quantity, much is not. Of is redundant after these.

The best explanation I could find is here - which talks about how ‘of’ is used with nouns.

This may also help.

In standard English, we commonly use certain adjectives of quantity—“much,” “more,” “less,” “enough”—in this way, as in “enough of a problem” and “too much of a drive.”

But with adjectives of degree—“good/bad,” “big/small,” “long/short,” “old/young,” “hard/easy,” “near/far,” and so on—the “of a” pattern is not considered standard English.

This has become an ‘accepted’ form in the US, simply as a result of original misuse and misunderstanding. Even though it may have been going on for years (decades?) it still grates. It is hardly found at all in literature, American or otherwise:

(Edited to correct the explanation)

3 Likes

To be fair Samsung does similar shenanigans. If you look up a review of a Sony Xperia smartphone pictures compared to Samsung or Apple you’ll see the differences. It’s kind of like when people “ohh” and “aahh” over display TVs at the big box stores. More color, more contrast, crank up the sharpness, more, more, MORE!. Meanwhile the Sony looks very much like a “real” photo that my Nikon would have taken. The colors are more muted, no auto HDR, less contrast - you know like real life.

I’m fine with “AI” photo processing stuff and some of it does a great job improving the limitations of the small lens and aperture. For all the touting that Apple does about their great camera, it astounds me there is no 100% manual mode in the built in app.

1 Like

… is that how I know someone has an iPhone

they’re trying to :heart: my text messages?

yeah. my guess is imsg ( or whatever it’s called ) sees that the receiver isn’t also imsg and sends its emojis as plain text. i wish android would give the option to eat those messages silently. i find them super annoying

Loved “yeah. my guess is imsg ( or whatever it’s called ) sees that the receiver isn’t also imsg and sends its emojis as plain text. i wish android would give the option to eat those messages silently. i find them super annoying”

1 Like

written language and spoken language are often different. one’s not really more of an authority than the other outside its own domain

( i don’t know where message boards fall. nor gifs… )

1 Like

To some extent, yes. But that Google graph re incidence in books did not have a filter for “exclude quoted speech”.

(Inserting a redundant ‘of’ because a few people got it wrong and were copied, and so it spread… is an ongoing part of the American War on Prepositions. But this is at risk of becoming a derail. I made the point as an aside because I wish those who might know better - especially someone who I believe is originally a native British english speaker - could just as easily write “too big a deal” and everyone would get it. Nobody would say “that’s wrong - where’s the missing ‘of’ gone?”)

1 Like

Run Away Snow White GIF

1 Like

Laughed at “Run Away Snow White GIF

And then there’s this shameless marketing of more overpriced e-waste.

1 Like