Look, it's just not that big of a deal that the iPhone is going to have a USB port

Originally published at: Look, it's just not that big of a deal that the iPhone is going to have a USB port | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I am actually going to update my iPhone to the 15 if it has a USB C. I travel a lot for work, and everything I bring has a USB C except my phone and it’s annoying. I have to bring a separate cord just for that, and for me, it’s annoying enough I will change over. I mean sure I can pack the stupid cord and it’s fine, but it’s annoying.

25 Likes

I’ve still got a 12 so I’m about ready and the usb c is a definite plus.

I charge wirelessly mostly anyway.

What’s the new camera like?

6 Likes

Man, all they have to do is not enforce their SMS segregation and maybe the Android vs iOS wars can finally end.

10 Likes

I found this headline oddly cathartic.
Some small scrap of my techmedia addled brain has been soothed.

8 Likes

It’s the single thing keeping me from getting one. I plan to get one to replace my Pixel so I stop hearing friends complain at me for not having imessage.

6 Likes

According to Macrumors -

Ginger Squirrely Dan GIF by Crave

6 Likes

For people who travel or commute with a bunch of items it can be a big deal. Having to only pack USB C cables and not lightning cables/adapters can be a space saver.

10 Likes

See, this I simply do not get.

I don’t care at all what color my text bubbles are on your phone.

18 Likes

If the 15 Pro has the rumored USB spec then I will buy it the day it is announced, which I’ve never done before. The “killer feature” for me will be the Thunderbolt-speed data sync. The existing Lightning port is limited to USB2 speeds (480Mbps) which was fine for a few photos every now and then… but modern iPhones can shoot fantastic high bitrate 4K video now and those are typically multiple gigabytes. Syncing those videos to my computer feels like I’m back in the 9600 baud modem days!

So yeah, if it’s not just USB-C but also USB4/Thunderbolt-4 speeds then I’m super excited about the change.

10 Likes

Bring back the 3.5 mm headphone jack and we got a deal (I won’t even ask for removable storage ok?)

16 Likes

Also a big deal for mixed users. My partner is an iPhone, and I’m an Android.

And don’t get me started on replacement cables because my cat likes to chew the ends off.

8 Likes
8 Likes

Not to mention that most people end up using WhatsApp instead of standard messages on either iPhone or Android making the whole issue moot.

loved “I don’t care at all what color my text bubbles are on your phone.”

/extraneous notification noise

6 Likes

It’s a big deal at my house, where the 4 apple users never used to swipe my charging cables. Now that’s going to end.

6 Likes

I’m ordering some back up iPhone charging cables in case there’s some scarcity going forward.

1 Like

From an environmental perspective it’s just less garbage.

2 Likes

I’m holding out for the 80-pin SCSI connector for my 1991 HP printer that still works great (ThankYouVeryMuch). And VGA out for all those 60fps 4k videos I plan to watch on our 1024x768 Viewsonic monitor I bought in 1996 for $650 (which also still works great!). God, I can’t wait!

5 Likes

it’s not the “biggest change to the iPhone’s design in 11 years.” It just isn’t.

EXACTLY THIS!!

And whilst I usually grit my teeth and growl to myself, when it is in a headline like this my self-restraint fails. The correct grammatical form is “It’s just not that big a deal”
INSERTING “OF” IS JUST PLAIN WRONG! IT GRATES EVERY TIME I HEAR OR READ IT!
pedant

3 Likes