Los Angeles cools street temperatures by painting them white

No grass. Trees. Nice big canopied trees watered with drip lines. Uses a whole lot less water than grass. Though even drought tolerant trees could be problematic for LA. Unless they get rid of all the water-sucking iconic palms. I bet you could get water for a dozen drought tolerant trees from what is spent on those palms
I live in Austin and the heat island effect is part of why the city is so militant about its trees. We have a tree ordinance
The other reason is bc of the peculiar arrogance of Austin- the trees are part of the ambiance, keeping it weird, all that.
Re: buffalo grass. Very pretty, fairly minimal water requirements but it doesn’t handle trampling. At all. More than one person crossing over the same place a day will kill it. People always cut across grass, so it’s not very suitable for most public space.

3 Likes

I’m no physicist, but doesn’t the reflective white surface now reflect all the heat back onto pedestrians and cars causing them to spontaneously combust? Anyway, that’s the subject of my fundraising letter. Anyone know where I can buy an anti-vaxxer list?

3 Likes

Speak for yourself. I live in a state with, arguably, the worst roads in the country. A recently paved street is beautiful sight to us.

4 Likes

Thanks for that! And a .ca link, too!

I believe I proposed a solution. Just water your lawn with seawater!

Concrete is harder and smoother than asphalt, so the grooves are cut in mainly for traction and so that when the road is wet, it doesn’t tend to flood over as easily. If you don’t cut grooves in the concrete, it starts to look like the surface of one of those underground parkades after a while, which would be really bad if wet.

2 Likes

9921602c60f8e1e17cc8cf354c37d647

4 Likes

Living in a place with seasonal snow, I can say for a fact that the nighttime brightness will be very noticeable. Everything is just kind of brighter all over.

2 Likes

You’re welcome, and I do believe you have Home Depots in the U.S. too. :wink:

1 Like

There are also a second set of grooves ground into the shoulders of concrete roads, specifically to warn drivers that they have left the lane of traffic and are about to slam into the K-Rail/Jersey barrier | tree| sign| oncoming traffic|etc… And vehicles that have had blowouts or accidents can also scar concrete roads as well- there’s a section of the freeway here that has a nasty line gouged in it from some someone driving on the rim after a blowout.

I was not aware of that. Thanks.
I recently had the roof redone on my flat. Replaced the old black tar paper & gravel with a new, white polymer material. I’ve been curious to see if maybe the top floors don’t get quite as unbearably hot on 100 degree Fahrenheit days.

1 Like

RIP motorcyclists. Painted arrows are already slippery AF, now there’s no place on the road with decent traction? Genius.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.