Los Angeles cools street temperatures by painting them white

I thought those vibrations were the point of having the lines, to a) keep you from falling asleep at the wheel and b) alert you by changes in tone if you start to stray out of your lane.

4 Likes

I grew that! It, um, died from lack of water.

2 Likes

Cool. I’d like to say our roof is white because we were being all socially aware and stuff, but it was like that when we bought it.

2 Likes

They don’t seem to flow with gentle turns so I doubt it’s that.

:slight_smile: When I need a new roof on the house (soon), I’m hoping I’ll be able to afford a (white) metal roof just chock full of insulation. I have a 115 year old cottage that is only on its 3rd metal roof, so it really is a good long term investment, and should help with cooling.

1 Like

I’m thinking it’s actually quite likely that “California-based company GuardTop” happened to make a few large campaign donations.

1 Like

Great, more plastic pollution for the oceans!

1 Like

Good. They still need to get a lot better.

White paint is cheap and easily available.

1 Like

I hear there are three things that man can watch all day and night.

Water running, fire burning, and other people working.

3 Likes

I mean, they’re roads. Nobody ever looked at a road and said “gosh, what pretty asphalt.”

Again, the majority of any given road surface is only rarely touched by tires. You can see that just from the wear patterns. A road that’s 50% white will reflect a lot more heat than one that’s 100% black.

4 Likes

I say this when it’s covered in 6-12 inches of snow.

2 Likes

there is no place for lawns where there is a water shortage like CA

1 Like

Albedo; that’s a good, woody word. Al-beee-doh.

2 Likes

That makes me wonder: as this stuff degrades, where does if go? Airborne and in our lungs, on our food, or into the water?

The concrete highways around here have fine grooves over the complete surface. I think they are to improve traction when wet, and help drain water away.

These fine lines cause a low- or mid-frequency hum, varies with speed. Some cars will be quieter than others, with more expensive cars sounding better. Likewise, this can lead to resonances in the car, which might be more annoying.

There are also cut lines every 10m or so*; expansion joints I guess. These setup a nice “ba-dump, ba-dump” at about 2 hz. Some people like it, some hate it.

Dumb question: can asphalt be made in a lighter colour? Er… given what “asphalt” is, I’ma gonna so no.

I’d like to see a coating for roofs. Bright white, easily rolled on over existing shingles. Wouldn’t that extend the life of shingles?

Indeed; I’m going to need a new roof soon anyway, but in the meantime, I am thinking of slapping up some white roofing membrane.

1 Like

Several brands exist, designed specifically for roofs;
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.flex-coat.1000410632.html

3 Likes

So, what I want to know is what does the paint do to the coefficient of friction of the road surface. I have to imagine a painted surface is going to be more slippery (especially when wet) than plain asphalt or concrete.

2 Likes