WATCH: Rainworks, street art that only appears visible when wet

[Permalink]

1 Like

i love this. what a great idea! probably pretty expensive, though. that hydrophobic stuff can’t be cheap.

Not everyone likes all street art. The unspoken agreement we have is ‘you can do it and it wont last forever because it will be washed away when it rains next’. This breaks that agreement.

1 Like

This gets posted April 2? Great. Now I have to wait 364 365 (leap year edit) days to have some fun at my brother-in-law’s expense.

3 Likes

Rustoleum NeverWet about 20 bucks for a kit (its a two step process).

2 Likes

What happens when it freezes?

Oh, wait…Seattle. Never mind.

2 Likes

I would hazard a guess that normal foot traffic will remove the coating over time.

1 Like

is that the same non-toxic, biodegradable stuff he’s talking about? that’s much cheaper than i was expecting, that’s for sure.

It’s a clever trick, but while many urban park designers are trying to come up with ways to better handle storm runoff and are implementing pervious surfaces, i wouldn’t encourage everyone out there to intentionally make urban surfaces more impervious.

1 Like

Does Mr Church have any plans to move to California?

Sure, just as soon as it rains in California…

1 Like

The Rustoleum product is toxic. The Always Dry product that the video uses has a website (that is easy to find). Don’t know if links are allowed here. It comes from Malaysia.

2 Likes

Ah he seems so nice, like he doesn’t even realize how many rain penises will now be unleashed on Seattle.

5 Likes

Mary Poppins liked street art. You got something against Mary Poppins. Bud?

1 Like

Oh, you just made all that up and decided that it’s a reason “all” people don’t like street art.

2 Likes

The Ultratech product (which I think is what they are using on walls in St. Pauli) is not available for consumers. (Too bad, since I have a house wall on which I would like to use it…not for the St. Pauli reasons)

BTW, This is the best of the ultratech videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tttAeaNcxdo

Would that stuff be a slip hazard?

I’d rather streets full of it than advertisements giving me eye cancer. Nobody asked us permission for those.

3 Likes

Since it dries invisible, I would imagine it doesn’t cover up the concrete texture much.