Lost Doctor Who episodes found, but the owners have a trust gap with the BBC and British authorities

Ready?
Two birds, one stone…

bastime

4 Likes
2 Likes

Oh, I remember Basil from my childhood in England in the early '70s. I hadn’t thought about Basil in some time. I remember liking his cheeky delivery, even if I didn’t always understand the jokes. IIRC, his catchphrase was “Don’t get your knickers in a twist” – and variations thereof.

3 Likes

I don’t think Basil Brush ever got exported to the US. I was told about the show from a mostly British based movie blog last week. Never heard of it before.

3 Likes

My US Air Force dad (and our family) was stationed in England in the early '70s. I have fond memories of a lot of British TV from that time. Basil was definitely a presence then. Incidentally, the Doctor I impressed on was Jon Pertwee.

3 Likes

My parents were major fans of British shows imported to the US. In the early days of cable TV they would watch whatever PBS “superstations” out there and “Masterpiece Theater”.

Tom Baker was my “first Doctor”. He was the only one they were showing in most of the US in the late 70’s They didn’t start re-running prior ones in my area until the mid-80’s (ironically after The Five Doctors premiered in the US)

3 Likes

Baker was most Americans’ first Doctor. I have a friend, Thom, one of whose claims to fame is that his mother was instrumental in negotiating bringing the Baker “Dr. Who” to PBS back in the '70s. His other claim to fame is having been a puppeteer in “Muppets from Space.” He still gets little residual checks occasionally for that work.

4 Likes

Excited Oh My God GIF by Disney+

3 Likes

It is cool! That factoid about Thom’s mom (who is from England) was one of the first things I learned about him when I met him. He’s very proud of her role (the details of which I’ve forgotten) in getting “Who” broadcast in the U.S.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.