Lost Warhol originals extracted from decaying Amiga floppies

Interview is on-line, BTW:

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/warhol.html

1 Like

Been there, done that: Kim Moser's Generic Home Page: Slide Show

1 Like

It’s a neat little account, but I was anticipating more interesting heroics than a KryoFlux, which is after all something anyone can buy.

I wasn’t sure if this was a joke or not when I read the headline and saw the initial screengrabs.

If it’s not a hoax, it looks exactly like my expectations of what a hoax would look like.

that’s funny because it looks exactly like what my expectations of what andy warhol playing around with some brand new amiga he got given for free would look like :smiley:

3 Likes

The BBC is carrying the same story, so i guess not a hoax.

Plus, Amigas ruled. Lemmings 2 was the only game that let you run two mice into the same computer. How awesome was that?

I never knew what “A.H.” stood for, but have now found a gallery of her work, some of which I recognise from DeluxePaint: http://amiga.lychesis.net/artist/AvrilHarrison.html

1 Like

I miss my Amigas. Had a 500 and then a 1200. I think the 1200 is still in my parents’ loft.

I used to run WinUAE for nostalgia purposes.

[quote=“danegeld, post:26, topic:29293”]
Lemmings 2 was the only game that let you run two mice into the same computer. How awesome was that?
[/quote]Gosh, I wasn’t aware of that. But wasn’t that in the original Lemmings and not Lemmings 2?

Do you have a “problem” with our use of “quotes” or something?

I don’t think this is true. Per wikipedia:

The first Amiga model, the Amiga 1000, was launched in 1985 as a high-end home computer and became popular for its impressive graphics, video and audio capabilities

1 Like

From Amiga 1000 (Wikipedia):

The Commodore Amiga 1000, also known as the A1000 and originally simply as the Amiga, was the first personal computer release by Commodore International in the Amiga line.
…
Before the release of the Amiga 500 and Amiga 2000 models in 1987, the A1000 was simply called Amiga.
In the US, the A1000 was marketed as The Amiga from Commodore, though the Commodore logo was omitted from the case.

1 Like

I remember this. Commodore made a relatively big deal about it at the time, and I recall Warhol liking the idea that as every copy is identical, every copy is an original. Some other site described these as “unknown” images, and I just shook my head.

Yes we have a ‘problem’ with your “use” of ‘quotes’

Here’s Warhol drawing Debbie Harry on the Amiga:

Yep, that’s definitely her work! So beautifully panterly in how she handled those pixels.

Aargh, and now I’m having flashbacks to a much more visually interesting “famous artist plays with Amigas” gallery; Jean “Moebius” Girard fiddled with his son’s machine, and produced enough stuff for a two-page spread in one of the magazines of the time. Much prettier than “Andy Warhol puts some pattern fills in a screen grab”.

1 Like

I had no idea dude was a cybergoth. This is some seriously early glitch art.

2 Likes

I think in the sense that these were works saved directly to floppy (not sure if Amigas had hard drives) and were forgotten that these were the only ones.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.