Luke Perry was buried in a mushroom suit

No shitake!

14 Likes

over-garden-wall-greg-aha

Indeed. Muslims, too. Straight into the earth as soon as possible, with only cleaning the body.

But no reason not to do this, though…

13 Likes

Well, I posted the ted talk by the founder of the company upthread a bit.

4 Likes
11 Likes

Well, I was going to suggest just filling the casket up with mushrooms as a cheaper alternative. But it sounds like there wouldn’t be any point to that…

(And it’s a bit more disturbing when I think of cremation with all those mushrooms…)

2 Likes

Or get buried naked, wrapped up in newspaper.

It certainly is a thoughtful gesture, this mushroom suit… but how about instead of hugging the eco tree as you die, hug it as you live.

The negative impact one person has on the planet in a lifetime is pretty overwhelming, not sure donning a fungi suit on the last page balances everything out.

I don’t take pharmaceuticals (though I’m sure there’s a pill or two out there that could make my days easier), so bring out the wood chipper and turn me into mulch or compost, no poisons in me.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, not legal in the US… neither are viking funerals…

8 Likes

I don’t think it’s just a pharmaceutical issue, though. Again, I posted the video of the person who designed the suit, and she talks about other materials that get into the environment that even the most natural living of us, might not be able to avoid (BPAs, pesticides, etc).

But, no, it’s not going to balance out our individual footprint, but the larger problem is societal anyway. Individual changes to your lifestyle helps, but it’s a tiny dent in the larger problem. This includes, I think, the funeral industry, which pushes preservation or cremation over other, greener options.

Also, human composting is not legal in most places in the US, but has just been legalized in Washington state.

12 Likes
9 Likes

Amanita stiff drink after that one.

13 Likes

Those are cool, too! So many options that don’t involve the traditional preservation model!

10 Likes

Maybe it’s better this way. If this were legalized suddenly, we would have several startups with silly names like Burialz competing for a market share. But after the bubble burst, we would have thousands of drakkars piled on the docks.

3 Likes

We should legalize both!

4 Likes

A market niche: burial truffles.

3 Likes

There’s more than a couple of charming horror stories featuring delightful images of carnivorous fungi, aren’t there? Nothing springs to mind at the moment, except maybe The Last of Us.

Previously:

Also:

5 Likes

The girl with all the gifts?

4 Likes
4 Likes

Why the fancy suit? The soil is already full of organisms waiting for that smorgasbord.

5 Likes

Matango!

7 Likes

I posted the creators ted talk upthread, where she makes her case for why she made it.

2 Likes