Lyrics website used clever encoding to catch Google copying its content

Excuse me while I kiss this guy.

4 Likes

I’m surprised by this too. This seems a lot like “framing” of Internet days of yore which was found to be illegal under copyright law. Not sure how google gets away with it.

3 Likes

It’s an ooooolllld dodge, pioneered by publishers of encyclopedias, I believe, even before the use of “trap streets” in maps.

Pretty much sums it up. Rudimentary AI could write these lyrics.

1 Like

Looking into a US resource on geographic descriptions, httpp://geonames.nga.mil/namesgaz, I am wondering how many such “trap streets” are in there.

That would be an interesting research subject, but I first need to extract the UNIs for my purposes and match them to our own database (because someone thought it would be a good idea to use our own IDs and forgot to make them scalable, FFS.)

Yeah, you really have to watch out for those rogues. If you’re not careful you can end up with rogue employees doing illegal stuff at the behest of rogue managers with the approval of rogue boards of directors in a well-oiled rogue org chart.

2 Likes

Caught by bands for copying their content, using clever encoding called “words”? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Get off my lawn!

2 Likes

According to Lyft, I live on one such street.

1 Like

It truly surprises me that this worked, as I would have been stripping, sanitizing, and making consistent any text I had had a hand in scraping, just as a matter of basic professionalism.

Hell, these are more useful than most “lyrics” sites.

2 Likes

Not sure what music you’re listening to, but I guess it’s easy to stereotype hip hop music as a bunch of swear words if you’ve never actually listened to it, the same way people make fun of country music by going “durr dee durr, gotta pickup truck and a cowboy hat”.

1 Like

News sites use a ridiculous number of ways to encode a single quote/apostrophe. I just squash them all. It never occurred to me that there might be a message in there.

Any genre can be boiled down to some big stereotypes that aren’t necessarily true. I’m not the biggest fan of hip hop but as you say there’s much more to it than what we’re typically exposed to in pop culture. Things change even more when you go to other countries and look at the hip hop they’re making, which is even more different.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.