Machined sculpture with over 1,000 individually fabricated parts

Don’t know who is riffing off of whom.

2 Likes

I really like his stuff (his “blueprints” make good desktop backgrounds) and would love to put one of his sculptures on a shelf at home if I had money to burn. I feel like one of these things is going to power up someday and I dunno…transfer Earth to Andromeda or something.

Meh. YAFT
(yet another fidget thing)

…shipping’s gonna cost ya.

1 Like

From the Wikipedia article:
“Electronics deals with electrical circuits that involve active electrical components…”

I see no active components on the electrical calculator.

2 Likes

Notice the meter, light bulb, and switch? Your reference supports my point rather well, thanks.

Yes, I know how to use the internet, but what am I supposed to do with the sculpture?

5 Likes

Create a wormhole to another dimension. To which you’d then put your dick in.

3 Likes

Also what appear to be potentiometers. These are all passive devices, as are resistors, capacitors and diodes. [quote=“Bozobub, post:25, topic:98726”]
Your reference supports my point rather well, thanks.
[/quote]
No. It doesn’t.

" In order for a circuit to be properly called electronic, it must contain at least one active device."

2 Likes

Somebody needs to hook this guy up with, say, a reasonably active experimental physics lab. Plenty of demand for custom machined gizmos(sometimes in fairly exotic materials, when you have high vacuum, need x-ray transparency, care about magnetic permeability, and whatnot); but more dangerous power supplies, lasers, ion beams, and esoteric functional mandates.

His technique is undeniably seriously impressive; but some pieces drift a bit too far from ‘yeah, I could imagine that that does something’ for my imagination’s purposes.

A switch is an “active device” that controls the flow of electrons, silly, and for that matter, so is any potentiometer, they are nowhere near “passive” devices. You realize “paddle” controllers are simply pots, correct? Any lamp is simply a resistor or semiconductor that glows, for that matter, or perhaps a vacuum tube (can be any set of internal electronic components AND a lamp - lol) and yes, purposefully changing current flow IS “controlling” that flow? And that keyboards can simply be sets of switches on a wire matrix (although these days they usually are digital)?

And that doesn’t even start to address the attached meter (controls electron flow to move a needle). Yes, using electricity to provide some kind of display output (analog or not) is “electronic”; in this case, it is also “electromechanical”.

Example: The 1st electronic vehicle ignition systems contained nary an IC and were fully analog.

For that matter, you can easily build digital computers fully out gears and such (See also Charles Babbage and his “Difference Engine”), so you can even go the opposite direction on this matter; “digital” in no way implies “electrical” or “electronic”. Your distinction isn’t as distinct as you distinctly discerned xD.

I gave you the definitions, you didn’t like them, so you made up your own. I’ll leave you to enjoy them.

2 Likes

It’s from here, looks like it’s got some at least passive electronic components in it from the photo on the reverse side. It’d be interesting to know how it’s actually implemented
http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/Calculator/calculator_ind.html

1 Like

Sorry, instant fail; I even provided a specific, easy to understand cite as an example, FFS. Try again.

Would you mind explaining how any electrical switch does not control the flow of electrons…? What, exactly, do you think they are for…?

Suddenly our hole universe makes sense.

2 Likes

Agreed! Ever had the pleasure of using an old Underwood typewriter, and/or just look at how freakin’ beautifully they were made? Art is art, regardless.

In electronic and electrical engineering, the difference between components being active or passive is whether (active) or not (passive) they control current through use of another signal. So from this perspective, “active” means any semiconductors or valve tubes, and “passive” means most everything else. Some can be either depending upon the specifics - for instance a manual toggle switch is passive because it doesn’t do anything without additional input, while a CMOS switch in an IC is active because it can be automated - its switching depends upon applying a signal.

Another distinction many make is that electrical circuits are generally AC, while electronic ones generally DC. This is why an electrician will often lack the equipment, knowledge, and parts to repair DC equipment like a stereo, but can work on a washing machine.

Then there is the matter of what kind of signal domain data is being represented with - typically analog or digital. You are correct that digital signals can be mechanical in nature. And beyond this, digital signals are typically binary - but they don’t need to be. The main distinction is that analog signals are continuous, while digital are discrete.

Often these distinctions can only be made within the framing of a specific problem, and in practice they mix together in messy ways. For example, a circuit can be designed to perform an analog function, but still have thresholds which yield digital behaviors - intended or otherwise. A diode appears to have no signal input, but it can be induced to pass current or not by using the changing conditions of the circuit it is in as a signal.

3 Likes

crispy but you wouldn’t won’t to eat it really
it’s just a shame

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.