Macklemore on white privilege

[Permalink]

More on his interview here at Rolling Stone: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/on-the-cover-thrift-shop-superstar-macklemore-20130814

I have to say I really like Macklemore. Even though his songs generally aren’t my cup of tea, they’re dang catchy, and I like the fact that he seems (from all I’ve seen of him) to be a pretty positive, self-aware guy.

4 Likes

I think it’s honest and positive for him to acknowledge racism in society and how it affects his life. The more awareness and discussion, the better!

5 Likes

I have to disagree with Mack. When I first heard his song, I thought he WAS black! But I was immediately taken with the content of the song! WOW, here are some hip dudes ranting against ostentatious spending, and embracing recycled culture and goods. I thought, here is some hip hop I can embrace!

1 Like

He’s got a valid point. Being in the music industry, I see it regularly, but most white people will deny it vehemently. Hopefully his words will filter through at least a few people’s mental walls and change the way they see the interaction of races and privilage, in the broadest sense, in the US.

3 Likes

On the other hand I can’t imagine many black rappers bragging about their Good Will finds.
But what do I know.,

2 Likes

I thought the same thing before I saw the video or knew who he was. Hiphop is full of funny innocent songs. And actually, that’s why I agree with him.

I’m actually really glad that he said that. I didn’t expect something like that.

3 Likes

I love Macklemore and he has a great point, but would I let my six year old listen to “This is fucking awesome” time and time again?

I think our family is currently much better off with just Abdominal, DJ Format, and Young MC, thankyouverymuch.

1 Like

I really don’t think he was saying parents should allow their children to listen to this song, but rather a lot of parents DO…

1 Like

Well, we’re always going to have a problem with stupid parents, black or white. A lot of people let their kids watch television for six hours a day too.

1 Like

“I benefitted from white privilege! Thanks, everybody!”

(goes back to being a really privileged white guy)

Gawker says it better than I can

I don’t totally agree with the sentiment, but there’s something to it: the most positive thing he can do at this point is use his fame to get more people into the business. Standing up and saying, “Hey, I wouldn’t be this famous if I wasn’t a white guy” gets part of the way there, but…look, there were jazz musicians back in the day who were likely more famous because they were white, and they would just bring fellow musicians in on their albums, NBD. Cut the bullcrap of self-flagellating while you’re self-congratulating, dude. Actions, brah.

Oh, and his net worth is about 10% of Jay-Z’s.

1 Like

What is he supposed to DO? Any helpful suggestions?

BoingBoing quoting the Inquisitr quoting Gawker quoting Rolling Stone.

5 Likes

So, because a parent allows their child to listen to music you wouldn’t allow your own child to listen to… they are automatically “stupid parents”? I was reading HP Lovecraft before I was 10; and my first Stephen King book, Misery, I read around age 10. My parents encouraged me to read these books – and there are a LOT of adult themes and language in the books. My younger sister was also a huge fan of gory horror movies long before she was a teen.

Were my parents stupid?

1 Like

Well, to tell you the truth, he has mostly flown under my radar, but the thing of being the white dude who talks about white privilege while being a white rapper who apparently has only recorded with other white rappers, being the straight dude rapping about gay rights, and tearing his hear out over the guilt of continuing to wear Nikes, it sounds like he’s full of it and just going for a niche hoping it’ll get him some green.

I remember when I was in junior high and high school, there were “safe rappers” in the top 10 who were (wait for it) black. For God’s sake, MC Hammer happened (though we try to forget) and his being poor today is only because he spent it all.

When you read Lovecraft were you aware that it might be a bad idea to run into a room and shout out some lines about Cthulhu? Was your sister getting out knives and playing with them? Probably not. They also sound like parents who were willing to discuss things with you.

Having your children to listen to Thrift Shop is inviting one of them to walk into a room and tell grandma “What up? I’ve got a big cock.”

I’d actually be interested in what music your parents encouraged you to listen to at the time, if we’re really going to compare apples to apples however.

1 Like

You should check out the rest of his band, he’s recorded with a lot of other people. And if you’re not gay you shouldn’t talk about gay rights? I agree he’s looking for a niche, but he’s creating his own niche on his own dime and it’s paid off.

Vanilla Ice took years to get a contract, had worked with innumerable local Miami rappers and was well known. The minute he got a contract he admits he sold out and we all heard Ice Ice Baby a million times.

Macklemore and Lewis have created an independent album and have been building towards it with the hope of long-term staying power. If Macklemore spent weekends at Klan rallies fighting against gay rights that would be one thing. All he’s saying about his shoes is that you should be aware that marketing is designed to drive consumption, not that you should only wear New Balance. If Wings had been about televisions or DVD players or cars, would he not be allowed to use those things?

2 Likes

You could listen to the radio edit version instead.

3 Likes

There are a lot of obvious blank spaces, it sounds terrible. The kids will just have to wait and listen to their generation’s Beastie Boys.

Parents who are aware of and support each child’s individual temperament? For shame!

2 Likes