Macklemore on white privilege

“Before he was basically the biggest rapper in the country,” Is this a fact? I don’t think he is, maybe it just seems like he is because he’s white?

Seems like the article there starts out with an assumption and tries to weave a narrative around it. sounds good but logically, and factually, unsupported.

@Shane_Simmons seems to be making a lot of weird assumptions and things up out of thin air without anything to back it up. Yeah, Shane, so can you provide me with the information that explains how he was “basically the biggest rapper in the country”?

Kidz Bop should be illegal and producing that crap should be punishable by death. (I kid. But onerously … death penalty. UGH.)

2 Likes

I’m not sure why this was a reply to Shane, as I don’t see Shane making that comment - that’s a quote from the Gawker article. (Edit - I guess because Shane linked to the Gawker article?)

Having said that, Macklemore was one of the leading artists in terms of sales at the mid-year point, apparently: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/macklemore-and-justin-timberlake-lead-midyear-sales-figures-20130705 - by at least a sales metric, that puts him pretty firmly at least in the running for the “biggest rapper in the country” title. Most influential? Nope. Best? Nope. Most respected? Doubtful. But best selling, as of mid-year 2013? Looks like it.

But at any rate, this is commentary on flowery writing in a Gawker article. It’s fucking Gawker.

My 8 year old sings it all the time. “This is (pause pause) awesome.” Then he feels compelled to tell me that he omitted the, 'You know, F word".

3 Likes

Sounds to me like you must be doing something right. He knows what’s socially appropriate and also he trusts you.

Yeah, Shane, so can you provide me with the information that explains
how he was “basically the biggest rapper in the country”?

Why do I have to? I already said I didn’t totally agree with the sentiment of the Gawker article. Please don’t quote that as if it’s a statement I made, and therefore have to defend. I didn’t say it, don’t put words in my mouth, it’s not my job to either defend Gawker or to educate you.

2 Likes

Yeah, my reply to Shane wasn’t all that clear, sorry. I was half paying attention to something else.

Your last sentence is truth, heh.

True. OTOH, some of the harshest criticism of Macklemore I’ve seen comes from, you know, actual black people. I’m not sure it’s up to me to refute what they have to say on the subject, though they do seem to be the fringe. Some of the fringe attitudes strike me as incredibly racist; things like, anyone other than Indian people playing a sitar is cultural appropriation. (just pulling this out of my behind, never heard this one before.) I always feel like if you can turn it around and it sounds racist, it is; so is it cultural appropriation if a non-white person plays a guitar? None of that rhetoric about oppression, now; let’s focus on cultural appropriation.

I don’t want to sound like I’m denying white privilege, because, good Lord, I have seen it with my own two eyes from my side of the fence. Having said that, we live in an age where Darius Rucker has been in heavy rotation on country music stations, and can you believe it, Ethel, they have a picture of him on his album cover! He does his own vidyas and everything. If I hadn’t seen this video or heard “honkey” in his hit I wouldn’t have known. If I hadn’t seen an Amy Winehouse video I probably wouldn’t have known she was a white English girl, but I sure liked that catchy retro Rehab song when I thought she was a black American woman.

But then, we’re all making an awful lot of noise about the Second Coming of Vanilla Ice. His rhymes, they’re giving me an aneurism…

The Irish have the perfect solution: feck, or fecking. As Chris O’Dowd has said "Even the priests say feck.

I wanna hang out with your gramma and play some Rock Band. My one grandma wouldn’t listen to music unless it was christmas time. :frowning:

Wait, I thought Eminem was the “Second coming of Vanilla Ice”? WHICH IS IT?! Is every white boy rapper the “second coming of Vanilla Ice”? Why? All because they are white? WTF?

Naw, it’s just the death of journalism, over and over. Lowest common denominator one note joke headlines all the time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.