Magic-mushroom drug lifts depression in first human trial

As @Aloisius has already noted, pharma companies aren’t constrained to novel compounds in making a profitable drug. For example, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) could create a sustained-release form of USP-grade psilocybin with a patented release mechanism, be it physical (capsuled pellets with staggered degrees of dissolubility) or chemical (binding the active drug to an amino acid that requires metabolic enzymes to cleave off).

It’s pretty common for a pharma company to create such a formulation once their patent for the active compound has expired (e.g. Lamictal --> Lamictal XR)

This is an article on how naturopathic medicine works better than allopathic medicine for people who did not respond to real medicine and was posted by Mark who obviously hasn’t read the article posted by Corry who says “Naturopathic medicine includes homeopathy, which performs no better than a placebo in 60 diseases that researchers examined in 176 studies. Though naturopaths insist that they refer seriously ill patients to real doctors for real medicine” - Corry’s words I think. (http://boingboing.net/2016/05/18/big-vitamin-bankrolls-naturopa.html).

Not all naturopathic medicine is homeopathic. Many naturopaths do not use homeopathy. Many real doctors refer the patients they can’t help to my unreal doctor acupuncturist. She cured a friend of Crohns and was sued by my friends real gastroenterologist for practicing un/real? medicine w/o a license. The real doctor lost the suit. Are real doctors who practice naturopathic treatments unreal doctors or real doctors that are using unreal medicine?

Try Wan Hu Sho for pain. Better than morphine with no side effects, but it is unreal medicine. Hey, I’ll take real medicine with potentially real bad side effects if I have to but give me the unreal medicine first along with my daily fist of vitamins. At our 50th high school reunion a small group of us were talking about how we all looked so much younger than everyone else and why? Our unison conclusion was - vitamins.

If you’re open to trying new medicine, I suggest Paragraphs ™.

It instantly makes you easier to understand!

1 Like

Pentaza uses porous micro balls that release mesalamine in the intestines. Mesalamine is a cheap molecule but that packaging makes it very expensive.

How do you do placebo controls involving a substance with such dramatic perceptual effects? No one is going to be fooled into vivid hallucinations by a sugar pill.

1 Like

I’m on 4.8g/day of Lialda (same thing as Pentasa) that I’ve been getting for free thanks to the ACA. I just looked up the retail price and HOLY SHITBALLS no pun intended $1000/month! At least some portion of which I will have to start paying now that I have a real job again.

It does work pretty well though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.