Magical History Tour

The movie, Deluge was largely an unseen (presumed lost) curiosity. But footage from it got recycled for decades later in various serials, movies and TV shows.

But it recently got restored.

3 Likes

Well, maybe the odd misdirected item aimed at NI.
One of the reasons to enter the Megaton yield range was how imprecise missiles were before GPS.

3 Likes

If anyone was aiming much at NI they’d hit us for shits and giggles anyway I reckon. I mean killing people with nukes: all the same in the end.

1 Like

Let’s not forget:

3 Likes

I was thinking that was more in line with @FGD135’s point about just how fucking much they miss. I know ICBMs are a class to themselves but bombs go all over the fucking place. They scream very loudly “we are really quite comfortable with blowing up civilians and destroying their lives”.

3 Likes

Thread.

Edit to add:

More here.

And here.

http://coasit.com.au/IHS/journals/Individual%20Journal%20Extracts/Refactory%20migrants%20Journal_DECEMBER07.pdf

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Some Canadian history!

3 Likes

Wow. Was on vacation in Québec when this went down:

Much less violence at that time, but things were tense. There might’ve been more people on the train ride back if the vote had gone the other way.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Interesting video! I knew about the St Francis dam, but not in such great detail.
(My background is in civil engineering. Water management was a subject at uni, and the part about dams had a section on “don’t fuck up when designing and building dams, kids”, with many examples. Looking back I think that lessions like that shouldn’t be just about the technical side of things; there are always political and socio-economic factors in play before, during and after.)

One of the weirdest and most deadly: the Vajont Dam, or how to kill 2000 people in a dam disaster - with the dam remaining intact.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Fucking hell. A 250m wave! It sounds like pretty much the entire reservoir was displaced at once by the landslide fill and was catapulted over the dam.

6 Likes

Much less violence at that time, but things were tense.

We watched the results come in during a beer-fuelled night at the Grad Club at Queens with a feeling of helplessness. It was all indeed a bit tense… one friend from the former Yugoslavia made the uncomfortable suggestion that we put him on the first tank into Montreal, “we fix this like back home.” :confounded: :worried: (he had a dark sense of humour…) There was a gasp from the crowd at the “money and the ethnic vote” remark by Parizeau.

Not a nice night.

A few months later the Canadian military helped dig out and rescue people from the 1996 Saguenay River Floods. Lucky for many that the vote went the way it did.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Two very scary examples of experimentation. I found more on Dr. Luton at Reims, and read accounts of patients (at first women of various ages) exhibiting behavior like drunkenness after receiving the ergot/sodium phosphate mixture. He described it like a cure for their ailments (arthritis, anemia, hysteria, hypochondria, and melancholy), because they laughed for prolonged periods of time after taking it. His recipe didn’t have the same “post-champagne” effect on men, but he supposed they had more experience with alcohol consumption. I wonder if he adjusted the dosage to make it stronger and kept trying. :grimacing:

6 Likes
4 Likes

“Tincture of ergot” – note that ergot contains lysergic acid, yes, good old LSD. “Surprisingly exhilarating effect upon female patients” – get the babes high, and they’re happy, right? Hey, medieval victims of ergotamine overdoses went into dancing frenzies. And ergot was used in gynecology for centuries. Thus, that “scientific gossip” piece was not out-of-place for the time, alas.

1 Like

Man, Henry was a dick, wasn’t he?

tudors-henry-sneer

6 Likes