Magical History Tour

Yup. I really enjoyed Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall trilogy. A big part of it is how Thomas Cromwell tied himself to a monster to achieve certain aims (wealth, power, freedom of profession and an English gospel) and became monstrous himself. The first novel in particular is full of dramatic irony between how he sees himself (kind to women and small dogs and completely against torture - bit of dramatic license there from Mantel) and how others saw him (sinister head of a security state, torturer, and using women’s lives and bodies as stepping stones to power, as they all did to be fair. There were no good guys here).

The bargain of despotism that Edward II falls to, at least in Marlowe’s retelling is played out here. When I read Marlowe’s Edward II it was quite a shock that they just got the fact of him being gay out there in Act 1 Scene 1 matter of factly and the queen complained about not getting any. But the grievances that the nobility had were the ennobleation of a commoner - just as they had with Cromwell. All had of course come from somewhere and picked the right side at some point or another, some quite a long time before, some not so much. And they all made up their pasts. Cromwell was just an easy target.

It’s also incredibly difficult not to read about that time and England’s break with the continent without thinking about parallels with Brexit. Specifically the king’s “great matter” - a trivial matter about wanting to get out of a marriage to ride someone else, get an heir, and pretend to himself that god loved him. This could have been achieved by negotiation. The problems were that there were two competing powers on the continent and he failed to unequivocally get the support of one or the other, both of them had reasons to not support and to support him. So there was a sunk incompetence in England’s agenda abroad which, as a state with competing factions within, was exploited (to no advantage, but to much instability) by both main continental powers. Cromwell sought to exploit this “great matter” to allow freedom of conscience and profession (and I believe, per Diarmuid McCullough, that they make a good case for this but it’s beyond my puny powers), but Henry’s idea was rather that Papacy was an affront to his god given status (fought for with rebellion not so long before) as King of England to… well be Pope to his people. And take the revenues from religious orders which were going abroad which he desperately needed to fund his profligate lifestyle and, more importantly, bribe and enrich his supporters in order to stay in power.

It’s hard not to think that Brexit lacks a statesman of the brilliance and doggedness of Cromwell, someone with a forensic eye for the details of an agreement and a prodigious talent for hard work.

If Dom sees himself that way, I’d be happy for him to end with his head in a handbasket too!

4 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Happy Birthday NYC Subway!

3 Likes

A damn frightening thread leading up to Halloween.

4 Likes

I shared that with my students! Thanks!

Also, on Chernobyl:

4 Likes

Most Dangerous Film in the World

That was a weird time; I was working at a nuclear plant as a student and “what would we do” was the the topic among the engineers on the bus. It was at least a little heartening to find out, two days later on the news, that the Russians were doing exactly what the Canadian engineers thought was right. Everyone knew what the cost would be, especially since the costs of the Chalk River accidents were generally known to be worse than admitted to the public.

I was in physio a few years ago and chatting with a Brit and found out we had nuclear connections. We were talking about a report of the Cherenkov Radiation emanating from Chernobyl into a column in the sky; one of those things you wish you’d seen and and yet are glad you handn’t. He then told me about having been on the deck of a ship at one of the British Christmas Island nuclear tests… another example…

He was on something like his seventh round of cancer treatment… :persevere:

8 Likes

TLDW: the Australian Army provided a tank for the Brits to nuke, then rinsed it off and put it back into service. Crew safety does not appear to have been a major concern.

7 Likes

Ah, but back then, nuclear fallout was completely harmless after two weeks.

2 Likes
1 Like

Happy Halloween!

4 Likes

Timely.

3 Likes

Oh Jesus, that’s horrible! I feel bad for the family, especially if they had not planned on a cremation.

3 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

Found this while looking for something else. I haven’t watched the whole thing yet but it’s a fascinating insight into early rocketry from the 1930s. It’s basically a fictional press conference [in German] accompanied by visual effects showing how space travel will be possible in the near future. It also contains real footage of the legendary Opel rocket cars.

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

5 Likes
1 Like